Sewing Machine basics

(6 Posts)
Spiritedwolf Tue 29-Apr-14 19:51:15

I'm thinking of getting my sewing machine out of the cupboard again. I did enjoy using it before but haven't had the space for a while. Now we have a larger table and toddler DS is giving me a little time to get crafty and artistic, my mind is turning to a few small sewing projects I'd like to try.

However one problem I regularly had before was that I'd be thinking I was managing to stitch well because it looked good on top, but when finished and turned the piece over, the back would often have errors where the thread was all caught up and messy.

Can you think of what I might have been doing wrong, or something about my machine that needs adjusting?

Once I've done a few simple projects, I'd like to try making patchwork quilts. Do I need any special equipment and are their any beginners resources you'd recommend? Thanks x

Spiritedwolf Tue 29-Apr-14 19:51:53

there*

BiscuitCrumb Tue 29-Apr-14 20:42:39

Your tension is wrong... Loops on the bottom make the tension higher. Loops on the top make the tension lower.

Your tension is often adjusted with a dial on the machine.

BiscuitCrumb Tue 29-Apr-14 20:44:32

This is quite useful.

Polkadotpatty Tue 29-Apr-14 21:33:40

Also, check the machine is definitely threaded correctly top and bobbin (have had this result when I had the spool on the wrong way round - more haste etc etc). Make sure you're using a fairly new needle; hope you have lots of fun with your projects smile

Spiritedwolf Tue 29-Apr-14 22:25:45

Thank you! thanks Hopefully I'll be able to sort it out.

I'm thinking ahead a little, I've just finished the crochet border on a knit and crochet blanket that's been 3 years in the making it would be finished if I hadn't decided I wanted to knit and crochet some motifs on. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now