We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

What Chair should i get to use for Sewing?

(4 Posts)
Mrpicklesesquire Mon 28-Apr-14 19:59:58

I basically sew for a living now, im in the process of setting up my own business so need a decent chair that wont kill me whilst i sew my fingers to the bone.

At the moment i have a cheapy chair from ikea, and oh my god today after sewing non stop for past few weeks i feel as if ive run a marathon, im aching all over, My back hurts when i move and I can only assume its the chair ove been using.

Any ideas for a reasonable priced one, under £100 at least.

The horn hobby chair is my fave but way out of my price league right now, thanks

DameFanny Tue 29-Apr-14 19:33:07

I would have thought a properly adjustable office chair would do it - but the main thing it's taking lots of breaks or changing your position regularly.

Can you organise your work room to have some things set up to work at while standing? Is your cutting table a good height?

cate16 Wed 30-Apr-14 20:52:31

I used to have an office chair when I did it for a living - comfortable enough to sit back and hand finish. Now I don't do so much I have a stool and sew at my cutting table, which I actually find more comfortable/easier now.

The trick is to make sure that everything is the right height, I think. You should be able to put your feet flat on the floor so that your thighs are at right angles to floor. The desk needs to be the right height too so you are bent too far forward . I agree that an office chair would be fine so long as it is adjustable so that you can get your body properly aligned.

This is explains it better than me. I think the only thing you can do really is try out some chairs. Go to Staples or Ikea or something and see what they have that suits you.

Good luck with your business. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now