We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Painting and decorating a dolls house

(4 Posts)
ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 27-Apr-14 20:41:34

Have bought dd a wooden dolls house (mdf I think), which I plan to decorate over the coming months, kit out with Playmobil furniture and people (so when she outgrows the dolls house she will probably still want to play with the playmobil).

Can anyone recommend places to go, tips etc, for decorating? will simple emulsion tester pots work for areas I want to paint?
best wall coverings and adhesives... I used a spray adhesive in school for projects and wondered if that would work. And would Hobbycraft be worth a visit? its about the only craft place around!

biffnbuster Sun 27-Apr-14 21:48:07

I did this last year for a Christmas present. I used tester pots for painting, wall paper samples for wall paper, wood effect lino tiles for flooring, odd bits of lace for lace curtains, the only thing I got from Hobby craft was brick effect paper for the outside sides of the house, but in hind sight would just use paint. (It has got tatty already). I used the white glue that you squeeze out, pva ? I knitted little blankets for the beds and rugs.
The girls are 8 and 10 and wanted one for Christmas, it is kept at the Grandma and Granddads house and they play with it every weekend.
You don't really need a craft shop and Hobbycraft is very expensive !!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 27-Apr-14 21:50:54

wallpaper samples! genius.

Ok, so instead of Hobbycraft I will hit Wilkos and Homebase next door. Ive got some little squares of material to put up at the windows for curtains.

There is a possibility I will enjoy it more than she will grin

biffnbuster Sun 27-Apr-14 21:58:41

Oh yes, it was good fun. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now