Does everyone launder their fabric first?

(8 Posts)
TotallyAddictedToLurking Sun 27-Apr-14 15:46:14

I am a total beginner and I wondered if you are supped to launder your fabric before sewing with it?

NannyR Sun 27-Apr-14 16:33:11

I do if I'm making something like a quilt where I'm using lots of different fabrics that might shrink at different rates. I don't make clothes but I suppose you would to need pre wash to to get accurate sizing.

reindeesandchristmastrees Sun 27-Apr-14 18:19:22

I do. It has something to do with getting the stuff off that is involved in the making of the fabric and you get a better finish

MaisieM0pHead Sun 27-Apr-14 19:13:06

I usually do in case it shrinks when washed and the finished item is spoiled, especially when making lined curtains as the lining shrinks at a different rate to the curtain fabric and they end up distorted when you wash them, as I have found out to my cost sad

Thumbcat Sun 27-Apr-14 19:25:06

If you're making clothes it's best that any shrinkage in the material takes place before you've spent hours cutting and sewing.

mimiasovitch Sun 27-Apr-14 20:33:00

Always. I've had a few frocks shrink, so I've learnt from my laziness!

TotallyAddictedToLurking Sun 27-Apr-14 20:38:46

Ah yes shrinking! I never thought of that. Thank you smile

I usually prewash if I'm dressmaking because of the shrinkage. However I don't prewash for quilting because I like the effect you get from the shrinkage (I only use cotton)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now