searching for handbag mirror sets to cover myself for party bags (similar to covered buttons)

(11 Posts)
slackcabbage Sat 26-Apr-14 17:41:05

I see examples of this sort of thing and another one here all the time on craft sites ... and I want to make some of my own for party bag presents.

Does anyone know where I can find the basic mirror sets from (I assume they have some sort of metal disc that the mirror clicks in to - like a covered button)?

Thanks in advance for any pointers/ideas ....

Are any of these eBay items suitable?

I made one from a kit with a cross stitch cover but they work out very expensive.

slackcabbage Sat 26-Apr-14 17:55:49

Thank you TheWoollybacksWife (great nn btw!)

Yes, I've seen the cross stitch cover ones and ruled them out as too ££££

I'll have a look through those ebay items - thank you - but I was rather hoping, for the sake of ease/simplicity, that they would come in a kit!

slackcabbage Sat 26-Apr-14 18:32:51

Do you think this is what I am looking for?

Too expensive if so and they don't deliver abroad where I am. Bum.

slackcabbage Sat 26-Apr-14 18:42:47

I've found them here They are called 'mirrored compact blanks' in the trade apparently ...

Just got to work out if that is a wholesale supplier only ....

It says they are suitable for Decodan (glueing things on) and engraving - if you want to cover them with fabric then you'll need a two part cover that clips together. I don't think that these will do that.

OwlCapone Sat 26-Apr-14 20:13:41

How about a plain mirror in a pretty pouch instead?

slackcabbage Sun 27-Apr-14 01:39:57

Thanks Ishouldbeweaving I haven't really studied them properly yet - will have a proper look!

I could do that OwlCapone but really wanted to make the ones I saw on NotontheHighstreet. I wonder how it was done?

OwlCapone Sun 27-Apr-14 08:22:28

They probably have access to cheaper wholesale suppliers.

custardadia Sun 27-Apr-14 09:19:02

I think those mirrors have been made in the same way you would make a badge or pin button.

here's a link to a site that sells kit - this will give you an idea of what's involved

buttonmakers.net/product_info.php?cPath=132_139&products_id=1176

The outlay is very expensive if you only want to make a few. There may be some cheaper production equipment around but i think you really need a solid press in order that the product is durable.

hth

slackcabbage Sun 27-Apr-14 11:52:32

Oh thank you Custardia you have solved the mystery! It definitely helps and that explains it! I was wondering how they managed to charge around the £7.00 mark!

OK, change of plan necessary then I think ... will look around for something else suitable to make for 10 - 13 yr olds ...

Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now