crochet owl patterns

(21 Posts)
Grandmaw Sat 26-Apr-14 16:18:20

I've just started to crochet again and am finishing off a blanket I started some time ago.
Would like to do something a little more complicated and have seen pictures of crochet owls. Wondered if anyone had patterns for these - like the idea of doing an owl shaped pillow.
Thank you.

Take a look on Ravelry - there are loads.

Cushion pattern (not free)

Downloadable pattern (again not free)

This is lovely but still not free

- Finally a free one

I might have a go at one of those myself. DD2 loves owls

maybe something here would be ok?

Everard Mon 28-Apr-14 08:41:40

Wow TheWoollybacksWife those Ravelry patterns are great and, while I don't mind paying for patterns, I actually prefer the free one. I wonder if my crochet is up to making one?

scampbeast Mon 28-Apr-14 12:34:38

This is a great free pattern for a little owl pillow if you want something small to start. Sometimes I make them bigger by using 2 strands of double knit and a bigger hook.
www.cre8tioncrochet.com/2013/07/owl-stuffy/
If you join Ravelry.com you can use the options on the left to search for only free patterns. Most of the patterns are American so when they say double it is and English treble. It doesn't matter to me as I learned to crochet watching American videos on YouTube.

madamginger Mon 28-Apr-14 14:43:26

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owl-obsession I'm making this for my pregnant sister, love it and its my first ever crochet project!

Grandmaw Mon 28-Apr-14 15:02:36

Thank you all for your suggestions. I can't wait to finish off my blanket and start to crochet owls!
The Ravelry site is new to me - I noticed that the patterns are priced in dollars- so was wondering how you actually pay for patterns?

Grandmaw Mon 28-Apr-14 15:05:24

Love the owl blanket madamginger
Could be tempted to do that too!

Everard Mon 28-Apr-14 15:05:48

I have paid for patterns on Ravelry before. Via Paypal. I think if the payee is American, Paypal converts the figure from $ to £.

OwlCapone Mon 28-Apr-14 15:46:19

I agree - PayPal does all the conversion for you.

PookBob Mon 28-Apr-14 20:45:46

My favourite owl pattern...

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/maggie-the-african-flower-owl-pillow-crochet-pattern

I am going to make the horse/unicorn version of this for my daughters 3rd birthday.

Grandmaw Tue 29-Apr-14 11:37:28

PookBob I've been looking at lots of crochet owls and that is one of my favourites too.
I've never bought anything from Ravelry before , and am a bit nervous of doing so as I don't have a Paypal account.

PookBob Tue 29-Apr-14 14:28:42

Grandmaw - here is a link to the pattern on etsy, you can pay by credit card I think.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/153654228/crochet-pattern-maggie-the-african

Grandmaw Tue 29-Apr-14 17:44:02

PookBob Thank you for that link - will have a go at buying from there.
Have you made the owl - is it easy to do?

PookBob Tue 29-Apr-14 19:03:16

No, I just have it as a favourite on ravelry. I'm about to buy the wool for the horse, but there are just too many colour options to choose from.

I am in wool heaven picking what to buy smile

Ladyface Fri 02-May-14 16:21:45
Everard Fri 02-May-14 19:53:58

I've been trying to make the owl cushion linked to by TheWoollybacksWife. This One

But I simply don't understand the very first instruction:

R1- ch13, 2sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in 10ch, 3sc in last ch, (working on opposite side of starting ch) sc in 10ch, sc in sm ch as first 2sc. (26sc)

I know the pattern is worked in the round because I emailed the designer and got that much information from her, but nothing more! Can anyone explain what I am meant to be doing? I am sure, once I have worked out the first row, I will understand what I am doing and will be able to continue.

From the sound of that you actually work in ovals rather than rounds. So you do a chain then work 2 sc in the 2nd chain from the hook. Work a sc in each of the next 10 chains (you should now be about to work in the last chain - the slip knot). Work 3 sc into this stitch then go back along the bottom loops of the foundation chain and work a sc in each chain until you get to the chain where you worked 2 sc on the top of the chain. Work a sc into this.

You have now got an oval shaped piece of work with 3 sc worked into each of the end stitches and a single sc worked into the top and bottom of the 10 chains in between. As you continue up the project your work with seem bucket shaped.

Does this make sense. wine has been consumed blush

Everard Fri 02-May-14 21:04:37

Thanks Woolly. Your explanation made a whole lot more sense than the original instruction! I didn't get that once you had returned down the line, you then continued back along the bottom of the work. I was thinking in terms of loops, joining 2 ends together, whereas it is, in fact, more like going round the Circus Maximus (no, no wine consumed - it makes sense to me! grin).

Circus Maximus is the perfect explanation. DD1 is an Ancient History student and would be very excited by the mere mention of something so niche grin

Everard Fri 02-May-14 22:40:38

This was what I was looking at when I described it as the Circus Maximus. I have no idea what it says about me, but it was my first thought. grin

Steaming ahead now with the pattern btw. Thanks so much for getting me started. I was feeling quite depressed at not knowing how to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now