We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Cheap sewing basket / box

(21 Posts)
TimeToPassGo Thu 06-Feb-14 22:12:46

I have been looking for a decent sewing basket or box that's big enough to keep my dressmaking scissors, pins, bobbin box etc in. There are lots of lovely baskets but they all seem to be thirty quid or more. I am not convinced that the handles are strong enough to carry a full basket.

What do you use as your box or basket? I have seen art boxes on Amazon but they aren't very attractive. Is there something between the £15-20 mark that is pretty AND functional?

Mandy2003 Thu 06-Feb-14 22:23:39

Charity shops usually have traditional sewing boxes.

TimeToPassGo Thu 06-Feb-14 22:40:17

Thanks Mandy. Do you mean second hand ones?

ItsaMissTerri Thu 06-Feb-14 23:08:54

If you have the time or inclination here's an idea - many Years ago my friend gave me a sewing basket as a gift. She bought a basket a bit like this www.amazon.co.uk/SEAGRASS-STORAGE-BASKET-XLARGE-design/dp/B000WJUTBO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kh_5 she customised by lining it, including inside the lid, with white quilted type material. With pieces of sticky Velcro she attached smallish pieces of felt to the quilted material which needles. Pins etc can be stuck Into. She also put sticky Velcro on other bits and bobs (stitch unpicker, thimble etc)that attach to the corresponding bit of sticky Velcro on the quilting. It's been brilliant to be honest and has lasted to this day. Hope you find something .

Mandy2003 Thu 06-Feb-14 23:32:38

Yes, secondhand, vintage. Usually donated by elderly ladies (or their families).

Flossyfloof Fri 07-Feb-14 06:49:12

I am pretty certain I saw some in Aldi this week. A really decent size. Not sure, I will try to find out.

RavenRose Fri 07-Feb-14 08:56:39

Definitely check out charity shops. I have a large pine cantilevered sewing box I picked up for 2.99. Best bargain ever. It's next to the sofa and also works as a place to put my tea!

Around here they often appear and are usually under a tenner.

RavenRose Fri 07-Feb-14 08:59:03

Very similar to this

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/301088319857

I use a tool box for a sewing box not pretty at all but you might be able to do something about that smile

monikar Fri 07-Feb-14 11:59:39

Ninja I have a tool box too!

The one I have has a tray at the top with compartments in it which is use for needles and buttons - this tray lifts out and then there is loads of room for bigger stuff underneath. I think I paid £3 for it in B&Q but that was a few years ago.

Boredtitlessagain Sat 08-Feb-14 19:03:56

I've got a lovely cake tin I use, is very pretty!

KungFuBustle Sat 08-Feb-14 22:07:43

Mon, I think we have the same case! Tool boxes are great. So sturdy.

TimeToPassGo Sun 09-Feb-14 13:18:57

Great ideas thanks. Leaning towards the toolbox as I want something I can carry by the handle.

craftysewer Sun 16-Feb-14 21:48:19

A lot of ladies at my sewing class used to use the plastic baby boxes with the handles ( I know they were popular when my children where small - early 90's, but not sure if popular now). I used to use a plastic carry box with a lift out lid for years, but DH bought me a nice vintage style one for christmas.

sunshinenanny Wed 19-Feb-14 21:51:57

brought a huge attractive basket years ago and lined it with quilter fabric adding lots of pockets a and have found it useful ever since

Aquelven Thu 20-Feb-14 22:19:55

Aldi are advertising them on their special buys this coming Sunday.
There are three different designs, all £9.99. The red one is very like one I've used for years that cost much more at the time

Aquelven Thu 20-Feb-14 22:20:34
apprenticemum Sun 02-Mar-14 00:50:25

Check out charity shops and boot sales for the big plastic baby changing box. They usually have a partitioned tray and are big enough and weary strong

headlesslambrini Italy Thu 06-Mar-14 07:57:03

Dunelm have sewing boxes in, similiar to the aldi link above

Oldraver Wed 12-Mar-14 21:24:10

I also use a plastic tool box..its nearly 30 years old but think there should be something similar. It opens and cantilevers back to reveal two layers that I keep all my little things in ans has a bottom compatment big enough for a few patterns and fabric

pancakedayiscoming Sat 15-Mar-14 17:04:44

I've got a squat, open cath kidson spotty bag, was a present I never used. I'm wondering if I can use this as a starter. Does anyone use a bag?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now