We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Which yarn and where from?

(14 Posts)
Thistledew Wed 05-Feb-14 18:05:14

I am just getting into Tunisian crochet and want to make a sampler blanket, partly to learn some of the more interesting stitches, and partly to make something nice for my mum.

The pattern that I am going to (loosely) follow calls for a total of 32 balls and suggests a merino superfine yarn (50g and 125 yards)! As the recommended yarn comes in at £5 per ball I would quite like to find an alternative. I would need six colours and am looking for a range of blues, greens and browns.

I have seen a nice range of cottons, but they are described as Aran weight and I worry that would be too bulky?

Any suggestions? Is there a good place to buy yarn on line? My local haberdashers don't have a very great range and the other two closest shops require a special trip that I don't often have time for.

OwlCapone Wed 05-Feb-14 18:06:28

If you wants to go with merino, Drops yarn is about £3.10 per ball. Have a look at woolwarehouse.co.uk

roadwalker Wed 05-Feb-14 18:08:06

I have used both woolwarehouse and deramores
Both have frequent offers and free delivery over �25

PolterGoose Argentina Wed 05-Feb-14 18:31:15

I really rate James C Brett Cotton On which is a half and half cotton/acrylic that looks and feels surprisingly close to Merino. It can also be tumble dried on low heat.

BabysNewName Wed 05-Feb-14 18:33:30

Come and join us on the Mumsnet yarnaholics group smile we will convince you to buy more yarn than you'll ever need help advise.

Thistledew Wed 05-Feb-14 18:37:59

Ooh thanks! I will check out those links when I am not on my phone.

Am I right to think that the Aran weight would not be a suitable substitution?

BabysNewName Wed 05-Feb-14 18:40:31

Mumsnet yarnaholics group is on facebook... I may mot have made that clear.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 05-Feb-14 18:46:05

Style craft special DK could be a good option - 55 colours to choose from.

freakydoris Wed 05-Feb-14 19:01:58

I LOVE stylecraft dk special. So soft, and beautiful colours! I got a good deal from wool warehouse.

OwlCapone Wed 05-Feb-14 19:06:41

Code SC14 gives 10% off at Woolwarehouse and there are usually a similar code for Deramores.

New colours for Stylecraft soon too!

BabysNewName Wed 05-Feb-14 19:28:56

Sconch textiles or Masons are worth checking out too for stylecraft.

ComfyLeatherChair Thu 06-Feb-14 17:43:39

I'd like to join the facebook group but can't seem to find it?

Kveta Thu 06-Feb-14 18:39:45

um, fb group has been secretified, so you'd need to befriend a member to be added - feel free to pm me and add me as a friend, then i can add you to the group and defriend immediately afterwards grin

had to be made secret as I was getting other mums at school asking to join it, so we twigged that it was giving away our membership of MN to OUTSIDERS!! grin

Thistledew Thu 06-Feb-14 19:10:39

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have placed an order for the Stylecraft. I was tempted by the Cotton On, but the range of colours just isn't as good, and I was worried the blanket would end up looking a bit sludgy.

Does anyone else do Tunisian/Afghan crochet? I might start a new thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now