We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Rude crafty email

(4 Posts)
Shazy123 Tue 04-Feb-14 23:41:58

Hi, I do a bit of pyrography (wood burning) and someone had asked me to do a wedding gift and christening gift for them. They wanted a wooden plate. There was only one website I could find a wood plate. The plates were £10 each but the postage was £8, which I thought was a bit expensive, but if you have a decent quality you don't mind paying. Today a big box arrived in the post and I couldn't understand what I had ordered that was so light. When I opened I realized it was the 2 wood plated - which had no knots and smooth (fair play), but was as light as a feather.My husband also couldn't believe that I had paid this much for them either! I could not give these plates as wedding presents or christening gifts at this price. I decided that I just had to send them back so I sent 'Dalescraft' a message(here it is):Hi received these items today. I regret that I have to send this email but I'm extremely disappointed with the quality of these plates. I was expecting a lot better hence the price. Could you please advise me of how I can send these items back and get a refund?

Many thanks
I've just received an email back from them, and was not expecting this kind of reply. Considering we are in a recession! Here it is:

Tue, 4 Feb 2014 at 23:0023:00
Message starred
FW: Order: #867 Hand Turned Sycamore Large Plate

How rude! I have been hand making these plates for about 22 years and have sold hundreds and never had a single complaint. They are made from the very best Sycamore that can be bought, contain no knots or defects of any sort and are exactly as described on my web site. The cost is little more than the cost of a blank piece of Sycamore from a woodturning supplier.

As per the distance selling regulations you have a right to cancel your order and ask for a refund.

Please return the goods using a signed for service to

Upon safe receipt and provided the goods are returned in the same condition as they were received I will issue you with refund less the cost of delivery a stated in our terms and conditions.

I would also ask that you do not make any further purchases from us in the future.

What do you think of this email considering we are in a recession??
Does someone know where I can get good quality wood plates from for pyrography.
thanks

UniS Thu 06-Feb-14 12:30:43

How much did you expect them to weigh, a soft wood plate is going to be pretty light unless its very chunky and thick.

Does the suppliers website include weight in its description. If it does then buyer beware. Other wise, Ok, not what you expected but as the seller says send them back unused and un damaged and they will re-fund.

Shazy123 Thu 06-Feb-14 22:32:34

I have shown them to a shopkeeper today who gave me the order and she told me that she could not use them as they looked so thin and cheap. Everyone I have shown them to are of the same opinion. I realize that you have to have a standard postage cost but I was charge £8 for postage on top, but actually the postage had only cost £3. Never mind - live and learn as they say!

Debs3013 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:33:50

Actually distance selling regs means she has to refund the cost of delivery as well, doesn't matter what her t&cs state. Cost of returning is obviously your responsibility.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now