We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Artists...I need your help!

(3 Posts)
MalcolmTuckersMistress Tue 04-Feb-14 08:14:26

I'm currently trying to set myself up as an artist after a bit of a break. I think I'm mainly going to be doing commissions but I'm currently experimenting with selling stuff on eBay (which isn't doing much at the moment, but it's very early days!)

I've started a Facebook page, I have a tumblr account. The FB thing is really hard work because I can't seem to get followers out with my own friends (who are all lovely and supportive!) and it keeps telling me I have to pay it in order to boost posts. Bloody Facebook!

What do you do to promote yourself? What's the best thing to do? I don't ever expect to make much from this venture but it's all rather new to me and I'd like to know I'm at least going in the right direction!

firesidechat Tue 04-Feb-14 09:59:30

I wouldn't sell on Ebay at all. There just isn't the appreciation of hand crafted items and art; all people really want is a bargain.

Perhaps take a look at Etsy and Folksy to see if that would suit you. Buyers on there are looking for quality arts and crafts and are much more likely to pay a decent price for it.

As for promotion I would use twitter, pinterest, tumblr, facebook (sorry) and maybe join the forums on craft websites. My daughter finishes a degree in illustration this year and we were talking about how important self promotion is only this week. Twitter appears to be vital and a website would be good too.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Wed 05-Feb-14 08:04:46

Ok thanks for that advice. I decided to take it off eBay and have now gone on the etsy route. It's a fabulous site and I've already managed to buy something off it too...oops.

Pinterest is the only one I don't fully understand! I'll investigate further though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now