Help me pick an activity to do with a class of 7&8 year olds

(5 Posts)
Giblet Sun 02-Feb-14 19:30:57

Hi all, I need help! My dd's school is holding an arts and crafts week soon. My dd signed me up for one of the sessions (approx 45mins) which was fine when I thought I was helping the teacher only now I have found out that I have to host the session. I cannot back out of it as my DD will be really disappointed. I am the least artistic/crafty person you could meet. Others are doing storytelling, knitting, crochet etc. All suggestions and advice will be very gratefully accepted.

3bunnies Sun 02-Feb-14 20:11:45

These paper hearts are very easy - same site had similar heart garlands. They are very easy.

LoveSewingBee Sun 02-Feb-14 21:11:58

Have you looked on Pinterest for ideas?

MiaowTheCat Mon 03-Feb-14 12:26:59

Age group I used to teach:

Really basic origami is always a hit. I used to do a jumping frog model I'd learned as a child and it was a constant source of amazement to the kids that I could make them

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Origami-Jumping-Frog

There was the year I got pissed off one class were making shite paper aeroplanes in my lesson and insisted on teaching them to make them properly but that's another story...

If you're doing Origami with a whole class what I always tended to do was to get people to try to help their friends and hold their model up in the air when they'd done whatever step of it you were on, rather than getting a chorus of "I'm done" or a snake of kids following you around the room for help! Easy in terms of resources - bunch of square paper sheets and learn how to make a couple of easy models (the frog one was always a hit when I did supply though - nice carrot to dangle to the kids at the end of the day if they behaved, we got the work done and had a spare 10 minutes I'd teach them how to make them).

The other one that is more time consuming in terms of preparation but I did with a Y4 class one year for Christmas and got a lot of comments asking how on earth they'd done them from colleagues was iris folding:

http://www.circleofcrafters.com/irisfolding/ and a google around would give you a start on that one.

Giblet Mon 03-Feb-14 17:05:36

Ooooh lots of great ideas there - thank you all so much. Had a look at that site 3bunnies and there are some really nice ideas there - saw this and thought it would be good also as it is a mixed class: www.papercraftsforchildren.com/category/art-decorated-paper/
Miaow the cat - I love the jumping frog also - will have to get practicing. I did think about Pinterest lovesewingbee but there was just so much!
Thanks for the ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now