Learning to crochet. Getting started?

(12 Posts)
MistleToastyStoHoHoat Thu 12-Dec-13 23:09:15

American terms actually make more sense than UK ones I find.

5HundredUsernamesLater Thu 12-Dec-13 22:37:54

I also got 'The Happy Hooker' and agree, it is fab. Very easy to follow.

HorsesDogsNails Thu 12-Dec-13 22:21:35

Gah, not 'my' but 'me'!!

HorsesDogsNails Thu 12-Dec-13 22:20:57

I bought a book 'The Happy Hooker' which is fab, although I thought I was learning UK terms and discovered this week (while following an Attic24 pattern) that I've learnt US terms blush.

The book is ace though and got my started from no knowledge at all.....

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 10-Dec-13 13:34:30

Whatdoesit I am curious as I am very close to you do you operate from a yarn shop or a studio.

whatdoesittake48 Tue 10-Dec-13 12:19:49

I teach people to crochet and have had many beginners. As already said - hold the hook and the yarn in any way you feel comfortable. it is also easier to think of the wool as being "wrapped" around the hook, rather than just picked up.

if you live nearby Elf, I would be happy to give you an hour of my time to get you started! just PM me. I am in north hampshire

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 09-Dec-13 14:40:59

Attic24 is excellent and I have found simply crochet magazine really helpful for small projects to consolidate new techniques.
I learnt 12 months ago and in a year have becomes as good at crochet as 31 years of knitting.
Historically there has been a right way to hold your hook and wool - now it is felt that as long as your tension is even it doesn't matter how you hold them.

Oneforthemummy Mon 09-Dec-13 13:23:15

I had tried knitting on and off for years with no success, then a friend suggested I try crochet and I just found it so much easier to get going with than knitting. I also used YouTube tutorials - I liked being able to see someone actually doing the stitches. I agree it's a good idea to find something you want to do and get to grips with that - it will give you confidence and it's great to see results. One of the things I like about crochet is that you do get really pretty results quickly. I am all about the granny squares, and am working on a three-colour blanket at the moment. Starting simple and just doing one colour squares for now, but starting to feel confident enough to try a mixed colour square shock.
I'm sure there was a similar thread on here recently with a link to a pattern for an infinity scarf, which I am also working on. Again, easy (only chain and double crochets) but quick results!
I found Attic24 great for inspiration and tutorials.
Bethintx1 on YouTube was my go-to granny square tutorial.
I'm not quite able to follow crochet patterns (written) but feel like I am getting there - I started in October.
Also, agree with PP about making sure you know whether you're dealing with UK or US stitch terminology.
Good luck and enjoy!

MiaowTheCat Mon 09-Dec-13 13:09:29

I find the Attic 24 photo tutorials brilliant in terms of showing you exactly where to insert the hook etc. I did some learning from a book (think it was Crochet Unravelled), a lot from Attic 24 using her photos and explanations to link together with written patterns and figuring that part of things out, and I just tend to google/youtube stitches now if I'm stumped on 'em.

Couldn't do it at all start of May - now I'm making hats, cushions, blankets, bootees and the works from written patterns if that gives you any hope?!

MistleToastyStoHoHoat Mon 09-Dec-13 12:46:07

Sorry clicked post when I didn't want to there!

Spural = spiral.

I have now made two hats using that pattern, one in chunky yarn and one in fine. The fine took FOREVER to do but it looks lovely. I also found this pattern quite easy to adjust, even with my very limited knowledge. I changed the stitch to double crochet from single, as I was also working on a simple blanket in double crochet, and after rows and rows of double it was actually harder to do single for the hat because my mind was set on double!

The blanket is easy, just choose a stitch and do rows and rows until it's the size you want. That's my back burner project to be done when I'm not doing something for someone else or learning something new.

Look in The Range for cheap yarn, and also pound shops.

Most tutorials I have found (most of mine are on pinterest) use American terms which are different to UK ones. You can either learn the american terms or learn to translate. Learning American was easier for me!

Good luck, I find myself crocheting for hours now and I love it!

MistleToastyStoHoHoat Mon 09-Dec-13 12:37:00

I learned by watching many many YouTube videos. I found it easiest to have an actual project in mind when I started, so I had something to aim for rather than just rows of stitches.

The first thing I made properly was a headband like this which was quite quick even for a total beginner, and satisfying to see results. I then moved on to hats which take longer. You can do them in a few different ways but I found the easiest was this YouTube tutorial which is making a rectangle then joining together - easier than working in a spural

Elfontheedge Mon 09-Dec-13 12:26:21

I've got a crochet hook, wool, a bit of spare time but where do I start? Any recommendations for good starter tutorials? Any tips for a newbie? Anyone else just starting and want to share? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now