We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Worsted weight yarn?

(12 Posts)

I've used Roco Designs Creative Cotton Aran before now. I think I got it from Deramores. It came in bright colours, very similar to the link that you posted. Might work.

neverputasockinatoaster Mon 09-Dec-13 09:46:08
MiaowTheCat Sun 08-Dec-13 17:54:27

I crocheted some bootees in a diff yarn to the pattern the other day - they ended up exactly the correct size... wouldn't have fitted Barbie if I'd have done them in the correct weight yarn! (I'm apparently a rather tight hooker though... not sure that's complimentary or not... or a reflection on my crochet tension from having a toddler usually hanging off the ball of yarn I'm working with!)

SoupDragon Sun 08-Dec-13 07:53:10

I've crocheted things like scarves in a different weight to that stated in the pattern - you need to adjust how many stitches you start with and how many rows but, with a scarf, you tend to do them to the size that suits you anyway.

DeathByLaundry Sat 07-Dec-13 17:00:09

I've made the Artfully Simple one in three different weights of yarn - it's an incredibly forgiving pattern, just go for it!

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 07-Dec-13 16:56:21

Thank you.. I've found some Aran weight cotton so I shall investigate the colours and see if they've got the ones my mum really likes.

mrselgar Sat 07-Dec-13 16:54:50

If it's a scarf it doesn't really matter if your gauge is slightly off. I think DK or Aran would be fine.

MandMand Sat 07-Dec-13 16:44:59

You need Aran weight yarn - that's the UK equivalent to what the USA call worsted.

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 07-Dec-13 16:41:28

The yarn i like says 4mm needles. On with my search then...

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 07-Dec-13 16:39:51

The pattern says 5.5mm needle. That's bigger than DK uses isn't it? Bugger.

5HundredUsernamesLater Sat 07-Dec-13 16:26:29

Does the pattern tell you what size needles? If its the same size as the ball band states on the wool you want to use then I would say it must be similar.

neverputasockinatoaster Sat 07-Dec-13 16:13:05

I'm sure it has been asked before (probably even by me!) but what is the UK equivalent to Worsted weight?

I have seen a fab infinity scarf pattern on Moogly and really want to do it. My mum would adore it in 'her' colours.

Would DK be acceptable or does it need to be thicker? I was quite hoping to do it in a DK cotton weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now