We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Finishing a crochet blanket-my first big crochet project.

(4 Posts)

Sorry I've not been back, thanks for your advice, not only have I taught myself a new stitch (HTC) but the blanket already has one round of border and already looks so much better.

Thank you so much! It is now something I'll be proud to give for Christmas. grin

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Dec-13 09:44:42

I was also going to suggest the Attic24 tutorial. I tend to put a couple of HTC rounds on mine before a scalloped edging and on the corner stitch I do HTC, Treble and then HTC.
Have a good look at Lucy's blankets on Attic24 and it will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

SoupDragon Sat 07-Dec-13 08:45:15

I put a couple of rounds of half treble crochet (HTC) round before putting the decorative edge on. A HTC is easy - start like a treble but take the yarn through all three loops on the hook after you've pulled the yarn through the stitch below.

The trickiest part is deciding how many to do up the sides where you don't have a stitch to go into. I tend to find that 2 per treble crochet row seems to work about right - you can add/miss out one as required if it seems too many or too few but you need to keep track so that both sides are the same.

Corners I usually go for 2 stitches in the last stitch of the edge, chain 2, 2 stitches in the first stitch of the next edge. If this doesn't seem to reach round the corner, add another chain.

I think Attic24 may have a border tutorial actually - that may be easier to understand!

Hi! I've only learned to crochet in the last month and have made a baby blanket all in trebles with a few colour changes, so nothing too adventurous!

It needs finishing and my MiL suggested a scallop/shell edging. She taught me crochet so I trust her advice.

So, I finished the body of the blanket last night, but I'm not sure where to start on the edging. blush

Should I do a round of doubles all along the edges first to pull it all together?

Will the repeated trebles affect the edge, as the stitches already have a sort of wavy thing going on? Will I need to fill them in somehow?

How do I go round corners?

I am a true beginner, I can only do double and treble, I'll be learning this shell stitch as I go along.

MiL isn't about today so I can't ask her, plus I think it will be nice to get some help from the very experienced people on here.

Please help, if you can!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now