Making an advent calendar

(7 Posts)
welis Wed 04-Dec-13 08:27:05

Has anyone got any tips for making an advent calendar, or even better a hogman calendar?

Thanks

Chocolateteabag Wed 04-Dec-13 08:35:03

Mine Gould be to check out Pinterest for ideas and links to tutorials.

Lots of people on the Christmas bargain threads have made or bought reusable ones and filled with Beauty samples etc. Guess it therefore matters what you plan to put in each day to ensure you get the sizing right.

Are you thinking cloth pockets or a wooden drawer style one?

Chocolateteabag Wed 04-Dec-13 08:35:44

Gould? *would
Sorry coffee not kicked in yet

chocolateme1 Thu 05-Dec-13 18:07:21

What's a hogman calendar?

welis Fri 06-Dec-13 07:54:05

I think a wooden one sounds better, but I'm guessing that's more work than a cloth one?

welis Fri 06-Dec-13 07:57:18

And as for what a hogman calendar is. It's like an advent calendar, but has two extra doors and counts down to Hogmanay (New Year's Eve). See www.hogmancalendar.co.uk/ for an example.

MiaowTheCat Sun 08-Dec-13 18:03:04

I'm planning eventually to do a variation on one my mother bought in a cheapy shop - a garland of tiny stockings with numbers on to pop a sweetie in each one... planning on just using a baby bootee pattern and probably either embroidered or felt numbers in festive colours to do it for along our mantlepiece in a couple of years when the kids are older and less likely to mug the entire thing in an instant.

Wooden ones I've seen people adapt those wooden drawers you get for office stationery and the like, gluing really tiny ones together and painting them festively in the past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now