Is this an entirely weird thing for a grown woman to do?

(18 Posts)
iklFaceOfBooe Thu 05-Dec-13 21:16:26

Not at all. I love colouring. I can spend hours with one of those books that had mad geometric prints & a bag of felt tips. Dolls houses are design projects!

Lurleene Thu 05-Dec-13 21:15:44

How lovely, well done you. The Sue Ryder Charity Shop carries a Dolls House range instore and online. You could always furnish your house from there claiming you are doing it for charity!

Sue Ryder

bordellosboheme Thu 05-Dec-13 21:09:10

I would be the same. Dolls houses are lush. That's brilliant grin

mewkins Thu 05-Dec-13 21:05:07

I have bought dd a dolls house for Christmas. Am fully intending to decorate it for Christmas and I can't wait. This is perfectly normal!

5HundredUsernamesLater Wed 04-Dec-13 05:24:56

It must be fate that you won!
I know a few adults who have bought and furnished dolls houses as a hobby and think its great. A word of warning though, you may get carried away. There are so many adorable miniatures available you will find them hard to resist, you can even get cute little christmas decorations.

FastWindow Tue 03-Dec-13 19:15:19

You should visit Windsor Castle. They have a huge one with working lights, running water, and lifts I think! Is amazing. Even newspapers, real ones only tiny. You'd need a microscope to read them.

Greige Tue 03-Dec-13 19:09:10

Not weird at all. It is a huge hobby. Look here for a start -
www.dollshouse.com

There are websites and magazines dedicated to collectors. My Mam has a couple and made most of her own furniture, in 1/12 scale, including teeny tiny dovetail joints.

I believe it can be slightly addictive!

LynetteScavo Tue 03-Dec-13 18:27:10

Congratulations! Have fun! smile

As much as I wanted 3DS,s, due to DC three being a DD, I have enjoyed playing with dolls houses, My Little Ponies, and Sylvanians. grin

Not weird at all! Hobbycraft has a whole section to deck out a doll's house - it is a hobby, to lay tiny carpets and paint tiny walls. You get to play interior designer on a teeny tiny scale in the kind of styles and colours the rest of the family won't put up with in your home

Congratulations too fgrin

ShriekingGnawer Tue 03-Dec-13 17:34:06

My neighbour remarried at the age of 62 and told her new husband how she had always wanted one as a child. She was fostered in various places and had very little in the way of toys. He spent a long time making her one in secret for her birthday (complete with lights and furniture). Not weird at all to do something lovely for your inner child!

givemeaclue Tue 03-Dec-13 17:13:22

No, I would love it. Lucky you, what a lovely thing to win and what a charming thing to happen. Enjoy it, I would!

YoureBeingASillyBilly Tue 03-Dec-13 17:09:58

Oooh! Photos please!

I love dolls houses and posted recently about starting to make one as a hobby.

You are very lucky! grin

kelda Tue 03-Dec-13 17:08:24

Good name! I have to admit, this Christmas my children are recieving the Playmobil house and hotel, and I'm looking forward to itblush

HedgehogsRevenge Tue 03-Dec-13 17:08:05

It's mine! Give it back. grin

MrsLettuce Tue 03-Dec-13 17:04:49

If it brings you joy then it's A Good Thing. Crack on and enjoy it.

Ready to out myself! - grin Hedgehog House smile

kelda Tue 03-Dec-13 16:58:01

Of course not! Go for it!

What name did you guess?

Let me set the scene..

I'm traipsing through the children's school last week it's decked out for Christmas, busy, and loud.
I'm trying to pass the time before we can leave (this was after 2 hours doing every game available)

There in the corner of the hall was the most darling little dolls house, all lit up with lovely, Victorian furniture and gorgeous window boxes.

I never had a dolls house, and having 3 very boisterous, football mad children, a dolls house has never had any place in my regular sized house.

I was drawn to it though and used my last 50p to 'guess the name' and today I found out I won!

It's currently sat on my dining room table and I have the biggest compulsion to look after it, put some carpet, wallpaper, decorate it for Christmas.

Is it insane for a grown woman to want to play with a dolls house? blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now