yarn winders

(8 Posts)
firesidechat Mon 16-Dec-13 13:49:35

Be a little careful about some of the swifts and winders on Ebay. I was looking at them recently and the feedback suggests that some are shipped from China even though they claim to be companies in the UK. Lots of the cheaper swifts and winders are made in China, so that's not a problem, but a delayed postage maybe an issue to you.

My husband is buying me a swift and winder for Christmas. Can't wait.

MrsPennyapple Sun 15-Dec-13 10:30:45

There are swifts on ebay for £12.49 at the moment, no idea what the quality is like but I've never seen them this cheap before.

MrsPennyapple Sun 15-Dec-13 10:22:56

Mine is a Royal one too, bought from ebay, although I don't know if it has a brass mechanism. It's definitely worth having one, it just saves so much bother. Same with the swift - I don't use it often, but when I do need it, I am so glad I have it!

BasketzatDawn Wed 11-Dec-13 16:03:34

And ourvye mentioned a brass mechanism, and none of the specs I've read say anything about that. I'll look a bit longer and order at weekend, I think. <excited>

fossil971 Wed 11-Dec-13 09:40:44

Having a yarn winder is great - you will keep it the rest of your life. I have an umbrella swift with a weighted base I found in an antique shop and bought on the spot, and the sort of plastic ball winder you see everywhere (on ebay anyway). I haven't worn it out yet. Are you swithering over whether to get one at all or what sort?

BasketzatDawn Tue 10-Dec-13 18:24:03

Coming back to this as still swithering .... thanks for reply, ouryve. Any other opinions out there, please?

ouryve Fri 29-Nov-13 17:11:52

Try to get one with a brass mechanism, as it will be a lot smoother. Mine is a Royal one from Japan. It makes winding skeins so much easier.

I use it with an umbrella swift that I've had for ages, but I know a lot of people who can recommend sunflower swifts (and I "know" the people who make them)

BasketzatDawn Fri 29-Nov-13 17:08:04

Does anyone have one? Can you run me through the good and the bad, pros and cons, etc, please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now