What colour is Wednesday? (Or any other day, for that matter.)

(141 Posts)
Beeyump Wed 27-Nov-13 15:05:08

I have always thought of the days of the week as having colours - sometimes I see the word written out in colour, other times like a coloured calendar... I know I'm not totally weird, because a Kate Atkinson book I read a while ago made reference to this! So:
Monday - yellow
Tuesday - green
Wednesday - orange
Thursday - dark green
Friday - purple
Saturday - some kind of light colour, not very sure actually
Sunday - dark red

Anyone else?!

StrawberryMoose Sun 01-Dec-13 15:37:53

Oh yes, also letters of the alphabet.

StrawberryMoose Sun 01-Dec-13 15:37:15

No no no no. Wednesday is a bright blue!

All words have colours in my mind but especially names, days, months and numbers.

I have been known to discount a couple of names from our potential baby name list just because I don't like its colour!!

Orangeanddemons Sun 01-Dec-13 15:32:24

Wednesday is brown without a doubt.

Thursday is blue, royal blue

Friday is red

Wednesday is blue because Wednesday's child is full of woe and obviously woes are blue and a cold icy pale blue at that.

Sundays are rainbows, Thursdays are black. I have no opinion on other days of the week really except perhaps Saturday is a warm colour - orange or red or hot pink.

KittiesInsane Sun 01-Dec-13 11:24:23

I have just had an even odder conversation with my younger son.

His 'day colours' agree with mine except for Saturday, which I have brown/black and he has 'warm orange', and Sunday, which I see as silver and he sees as gold.

Why do so many more people agree that Wednesday is coloured than every other day? Sampling bias, do you think, because of the thread title?

AnUnearthlyChild Sun 01-Dec-13 10:02:21

January is white, pure and clear
Feb is light steel grey
March is a watery yellow
April is sort of silvery
May is light green
June is pink
July is royal blue
August is deep green
September is sort of dusty light brown
October deep orange
November is blue black
December is red

I don't have synasthesia unfortunately. Mine are just associations and memory links I think.

School subjects are easy, schoolbook colours
Science brown
English brick red
Geography green
History blue
Maths salmon pink
Music was grey
German orange

AnUnearthlyChild Sun 01-Dec-13 09:46:15

Wednesday is, as quint says a toffee brown colour.

Saturday is crimson
Sunday is a pale orange

Thursday is lime green

Monday is royal blue
Tuesday is steel grey

Friday is a very shiny deep black

LazyFaire Sun 01-Dec-13 09:32:57

I thought about it after I read 'Born on a Blue Day' which is a great book too actually. He thought Wednesdays were blue I think too.

I think
Monday is White/Yellow like a lightbulb
Tuesday is grey-green
Wednesday is red
Thursday is purple
Friday is gold
Saturday is white
Sunday is brown

LouiseAderyn Sun 01-Dec-13 09:26:35

Wednesday is definitely green - pale and cloudy.

For some reason I don't think of the other days as having colours - I am going to give it some thought though and see if they come to me!

Beeyump Sat 30-Nov-13 21:32:04

I love your DS comment on the end of next year being fuzzy, btw

Beeyump Sat 30-Nov-13 21:30:03

Of course! I don't know where it should go, but I'll message mumsnet. I'm obviously fascinated by it too grin

KittiesInsane Sat 30-Nov-13 20:31:30

OP, could we move this somewhere more permanent than Chat, do you think? I'm fascinated by it -- and DS would like to cite a bit of it in a school art project!

awaywego1 Sat 30-Nov-13 10:55:04

I've never thought that I had any form of synathesia but Wednesday is definitely green with a kind of bobbly pattern to it!

KittiesInsane Sat 30-Nov-13 08:43:58

DS just said that he couldn't see past the end of next year because it was too fuzzy, so I asked him 'What colour is Wednesday?' and got the instant answer 'Navy -- no, more like very dark green'.

Phew.
Not sure the stats would cope with a sudden Navy.

MummyBeerest Thu 28-Nov-13 12:52:18

I see Wednesday as an icy blue.

Thursday I agree is green...probably a light green, or bottle green as you say smile

Monday is grey
Tuesday is yellow
Friday is lavender
Saturday pink
Sunday red

I also see months as colours! November is a plum purple, December is a deep red, January is royal blue, February is brown, March is hunter green, April's a champagne, May is soft pink, June is bright yellow, July, an orange, August is auburn, September is a periwinkle blue, October is black.

Interesting. ..

singaporeswing Thu 28-Nov-13 12:50:00

Yep, definitely green.

Sunshinelaulau Thu 28-Nov-13 12:35:22

Lancelottie I see the weekends as a picnic at the bottom of the hill, all lovely and so very deserving after the week of hill climbingsmile

everlong Thu 28-Nov-13 12:18:00

Green fo sho

Lancelottie Thu 28-Nov-13 12:04:51

Scarlet, unfortunately, is a very dark red, almost purply. Crimson is light, bright orange.

This is frankly a bugger when it comes to remembering that they're the other way round, near as dammit.

Sometimes it goes with the spelling. Grey is a soft, gentle, pinkish-grey. Gray, on the other hand, is a threatening blue-black...

Beeyump Thu 28-Nov-13 11:42:49

Lancelottie that makes my head hurt! What does scarlet look like? It makes me think of thread/ribbons.

Anyway - today is bottle green Thursday, yayy!

Halfling Thu 28-Nov-13 09:36:20

Monday - White
Tuesday - Pink/Orange
Wednesday - Bottle Green
Thursday - Bright Yellow
Friday - Silver
Saturday - Black
Sunday - Red

Lancelottie Thu 28-Nov-13 09:28:30

Anyone else see colours for colour nouns that are the wrong colour?

I find 'Red' is OK, but 'Green' unfortunately looks pink, 'Blue' is greyish-turquoise, and don't get me started on scarlet and crimson...

Lancelottie Thu 28-Nov-13 09:22:50

DeliciousIrony -- so far, yes!

JulesJules Thu 28-Nov-13 07:21:31

You could just have your filing cabinets in loads of different colours. That would be great, and kill two birds etc grin

SupermansBigRedReindeerNose Thu 28-Nov-13 02:57:29

I want what you lot have envy my mind works by compartments rather than colours, I can quite clearly see when I'm taking things out their filing cabinet in my head when I think hmm

I'd say I'd happily swap for colours but am greedy and would like both grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now