We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Self healing cutting mats

(12 Posts)
GemmaTeller Sat 30-Nov-13 11:29:49

thanks, I'll try that

SleepPleaseSleep Fri 29-Nov-13 19:53:51

Had no idea you were supposed to store them specially. Mine's been all ways, not least shoved away for 3 years cos I daren't get my marquetry scalpel knives out with toddlers in the house! Seemed to work ok when I had it out the other day for some card cutting. Didn't notice any oil and I stored it with wood veneers.

ObtuseAngel Fri 29-Nov-13 11:34:20

GemmaTeller - can you put it flat somewhere warm? If it was summer time I would suggest that you put it on the floor in a patch of sunshine for an afternoon. Perhaps you could put it flat on the floor on or under an electric blanket, or heat up a towel in the tumble dryer, put it on the mat and drop a duvet over the top to hold the warmth in. It should be nice and warm, but not hotter than you can comfortably leave your hand on.

I store mine upright. When I move house again I will have a special hook for it.

GemmaTeller Mon 25-Nov-13 20:54:32

I treated myself to a big shcm and stored it vertically between two bookshelves - no problem.

I lent it to DIL for a month and its come back buckled sad

How do I get it flat again? its been under two heavy boxes for about three weeks but is still wavy..

Lol. I bet she was outraged by the stalls at the show with all the mats standing upright.

ZombiesAteMyCunnyFunt Sun 24-Nov-13 21:55:35

Bertha, see my above post. I can't help having an inward giggle every time I remember Grandma tutting whenever we saw someone at the show carrying them vertically grin

Yes, you are supposed to store them flat because they can distort and buckle. Hanging them vertically will keep them in good condition too.

Never heard anything about any oil though!!

disclaimer - my small mat (A3) is propped up against the wall at the bottom of the stairs at the moment. Neither completely vertical or horizontal. It is just fine and shows no sign of either permanent disfigurement or oils leaks. grin

ZombiesAteMyCunnyFunt Sun 24-Nov-13 17:49:08

Well I now have the mat, Grandma was most confused when I discovered the instructions on the back that tell you to either store it flat or use the hanging hole to hang it vertically grin

wonkylegs Sat 23-Nov-13 23:13:22

Mines been stored sideway, upside down, carried, dropped, tossed in the back of my car... With no problems
Taken a few of them back and forth from uni, then work for many years.

I often have my mat vertical, never seen any oil (must check the carpet now) - it can bend, so storing it flat helps.

MothershipG Sat 23-Nov-13 15:31:46

Who knew? I've no idea if your Granny is right but I do sometimes store mine on it's side but if you leave them like that they can develop a curve which is a bit of a pain.

It hasn't leaked yet, if that's what she means! wink

ZombiesAteMyCunnyFunt Sat 23-Nov-13 08:59:24

I went to Harrogate Knitting and Stitching show yesterday with my Grandma, I was on the look out for SHCM's and Grandma told me I could have hers as she never uses it anymore. But I mustn't carry or store it vertically as the oil in it will run. Is she right about the oil? I'm struggling to understand how something solid can have oil in it confused she even pointed to a lady carrying one and said 'Mine is just like that, a nice big one!' So it doesn't sound any different to the bog-standard green ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now