Crochet snowflakes - anybody care to share their patterns and answer a couple of questions?!

(9 Posts)
Maureenswhites Wed 20-Nov-13 07:22:56

I've seen loads on ravelry but a lot of them seem fiendishly complicated (what's a trtr when it's at home?!)

Anybody got any patterns they are finding not too difficult. I'm not a complete beginner, I've made lots of amigurumi/blankets etc but not a lot of the smaller fiddlier stuff. I'm managing this one hope this link works

Also, what sort of wool are you using? For the one I've linked to I'm using some wool a friend gave me, I think it is 4ply, it's quite thin and seems to look fine!

Last question - are you pinning them and painting with watered down PVA to keep them stiff? I have a starch spray but not sure it is strong enough for the job.

Thanks fellow hookers!
grin

mirivy Wed 20-Nov-13 07:26:35

Lucy at Attic24 blog does a lovely simple one (sorry too much of an ignoramus to know how to link it). I've been using that so far. I PVA glue, and then put glitter on. Bit flash, me.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 20-Nov-13 07:29:15

attic24.typepad.com/weblog/crochet-snowflake.html

I made one of these the other day and found them rather easy once you got the general pattern. I'm just using a 4 ply white baby yarn. It was one I bought in error last year and I don't like using it in my other projects as it feels cheap so it's been a good excuse to use it up! I then pin it out and I used spray starch which worked well enough to give it definition.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Wed 20-Nov-13 07:29:48

Great minds wink

sOODdragon Wed 20-Nov-13 07:41:12

I found a site with loads of snowflake patterns on a year or so ago. Some were complicated and some were easier. All were kind of fascinating to make! I'll have to see if I can find it again.

I agree that spray starch really wasn't up to the job.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 20-Nov-13 14:26:56

Attic24 again and the current issues and last months issue of simply crochet. I am using Sirdar Ella shade 009 white with silver thread in it.

awaywego1 Wed 20-Nov-13 17:15:09

I'm using this:
accordingtomatt.blogspot.de/p/blog-page.html?m=1
Which is really easy-I'm a beginner-using rowan creative focus worsted which is turning out nice and pinning and painting with watered down pva.

Maureenswhites Thu 21-Nov-13 17:02:20

Ooooh mirivy - you are flash! Thanks all. I've tried the attic one but found it a bit dense. I'm going to try the Matt one too. I love crochet smile ��

SeymoreButts Thu 21-Nov-13 21:24:30

I'm glad I found this, I will raid DD's desk for glue. I pinned mine and sprayed them with water and was a bit hmm when they pinged right back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now