What size dress to make help!

(5 Posts)
neddle Tue 19-Nov-13 14:50:33

I want to make this dress

According to the measurement tables and my measurements, I don't know what size to make.

I am: bust - 90cm; waist - 84cm; hips 93cm.
Table: bust - 10/12; waist - 16/18; hips - 8.

What's the best choice? Make to fit waist and adjust the rest smaller or to fit bust and adjust the waist and hope the style means the hips are fine?

I plan to make a practice version first to see how it fits/looks before committing.

tb Tue 19-Nov-13 15:55:56

I seem to remember that the recommendation is to use the size to fit the bust, as this also affects the fit over the shoulders. This area is the most complicated to alter to fit.

Altering the hips or waist isn't normally too complicated.

Pythonesque Tue 19-Nov-13 16:13:31

Agree I'd start with the bust section, and look at how the pattern varies by size at waist and hips to guide your adjustments. Hope it goes well!

574ejones Tue 19-Nov-13 18:34:01

I think you do fit it to your bust. It's worth searching for other pattern reviews as it might give you an idea how much ease it will have. Or you could have a go at grading your pattern to suit your size.

RavenRose Wed 20-Nov-13 09:19:11

Is it a multi size pattern? If so, would it be possible to take the size line at the bust and then draw a new line to meet the size line at the waist then so the same from the waist to the hips?

Otherwise I would fit the bust as you'll then be able to fit the shoulders and arm holes/sleeves as the proportions should be right. Then increase on the waist and decrease on the hips. As others have said its easier to change the waist and hips than the bust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now