Christmas crafts with a 2.5 year old??

(11 Posts)
Zoogeek Sun 17-Nov-13 22:40:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

okthen Sun 17-Nov-13 22:56:18

I made lovely cards with dd when she was two (not for Christmas but am definitely going to this year):

Get three different coloured paints (gold looks good as one of them) and squirt onto paper plates. Get dd to use festive shaped biscuit cutters as stamps- dipping them into paints then stamping them at random all over pieces of paper. Completely cover the paper so the shapes are all overlapping. It will look quite random and messy at this point.

When the paint is dry, locate individual festive shapes amongst the masterpiece, and cut them out (best for you to do this after she is in bed). They will have lovely random patterns on from the other 'stamps'.

Then pre-fold some cards and she can stick shapes on.

Hope that makes sense! It does look good.

Oh, and you can make nice crafts using paint handprints- they could be angel wings, or you could use several green ones together to make a Christmas tree.

Ooh I'm excited about Christmas crafts now....

Ps my mum makes a gingerbread house at Christmas with my dd (google a method, or buy a kit from ikea)- but she has much more patience than me smile

PoppyWearer Sun 17-Nov-13 23:05:46

I was about to come on here and post almost exactly what okthen has posted!

Potato-print Christmas trees and then cut them out to make cards.

Handprints....lots of them. Then cut them out to make Rudolph, Christmas tree, anything really!

Pine cones is a good one too.

Find a local ceramics cafe or order a DIY kit from Yellow Moon/Baker Ross to make pottery decorations.

Paper plate angels. They are very easy. I found the outline from the Usbourne Christmas Crafts book which is worth getting for lots of ideas but I just googled it and there are several different versions. You'd have to cut it out but you can decorate the angels with lots of glitter and stickers and draw a face on.. I used to provide the templates as a craft at a toddler group and it goes down really well. You can decorate it flat and then put her together after you have finished that bit.

This is the closest to the Usbourne version. You just slot it together along the cut lines.

By the way, they are doing things with doilies in the instructions with the template I posted but you don't have to do that. Decorate it with anything you want, glitter, paint, glitter paint (!), sequins, stickers, chopped up doilies, wool for the hair - whatever you have lying around.

Ellisisland Mon 18-Nov-13 15:23:52

Get some green felt and cut out a large Christmas tree shape and then stick that to a piece of card. Then you can make Xmas decorations for that tree out of other pieces of coloured felt and decorate your felt tree smile it's more fun than it sounds grin

Zoogeek Tue 19-Nov-13 21:41:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MumToTiny Tue 19-Nov-13 21:51:57

DS is 2.5 too. I'm planning to do salt dough tree decorations with him - Google "Santa salt dough ornaments" for some pictures. You can cook salt dough in the microwave rather than baking for hours on end! Lovely to have a handprint to look back on next Christmas when they've got so much bigger!

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Nov-13 21:55:09

Fabric paint handprints on a plain white t shirt/hankies for a Christmas present for your DP?

SpaceKoala Tue 19-Nov-13 22:12:30

If you have a tiger shop nearby, they do a set of 3 tree decoration angels to paint yourself. Think they were two pound. Think some kind of plaster stuff..

Let the toddlers paint them and add some glitter. Once dry coat in glue and you have lovely home made decorations, or a easy present for the grandparentssmile

hanbee Wed 20-Nov-13 08:13:20

Take a look at the blog The Imagination Tree. It's written by an early years teacher now sahm. It has lots of great ideas including Christmassy ones.

http://theimaginationtree.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now