Sewing machine novice

(8 Posts)
EATmum Sat 16-Nov-13 12:50:09

I have just bought a v basic sewing machine, with a view to doing some recycling of clothes, mending, patchwork - that kind of thing. What do I need to know? Slightly scared about taking it out of the box at the moment ...

ICameOnTheJitney Sat 16-Nov-13 15:20:36

Just get it out, plug it in and sit by it reading the manual. The manuals are easy to understand...there's a step by step thing on turning it on, threading it etc...they're hard to break nowadays so don't worry!

EATmum Sat 16-Nov-13 19:19:06

Thank you - I got over being daunted and had a fab afternoon. Have they got massively simpler in recent years? It's been at least 25 years since I last had dealings with a sewing machine in ghastly sewing lessons at school. Maybe it was just my school's determination to make most things hellish ...! Anyway, I consider my £25 (£25!!) investment to John Lewis a grand decision right now.

TimeToPassGo Sun 26-Jan-14 22:27:00

EAT which sewing machine did you get and is it suitable for everything you want to do? I am planning to buy one as a novice.

500internalerror Sun 26-Jan-14 22:43:08

Watching this thread with interest, as there's no reason why I couldn't get over my fear of sewing machines & make some clothes! I just don't know how to work them confused

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 26-Jan-14 22:46:47

My school sewing lessons were awful too, but I've just started making my own skirts and I find it's much easier than I remembered. Hope you have fun with it!

I have had my (very pretty) basic John Lewis one since last Christmas. I love it and I really really want to use it but I am terrified of it! I don't pick up practical things very easily. Is it really not that hard? I'd love to make my own skirts!

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 28-Jan-14 00:06:24

KingThistle - I made a skirt pattern based on a 4-panel skirt that I already owned. The first one I made was way too big as I'd allowed too much for seams, but the subsequent ones have been great.

I made a template for one panel, then cut 4 of them out of material and sewed them together. I included a zip when I sewed the final sides together, which was easier than I thought but it's probably not done in a "correct" way (don't care, it works and it's always covered by a top anyway). Hemmed the top and bottom and, voila, one skirt!

I've also varied the template to make a 6 panel skirt and have made different lengths. Have received complements for all of them, as they're very obviously not high street skirts and they have a certain quirky chic to them.

I did buy a proper pattern for a wrap dress, but I think it's a bit beyond me so I've shelved it for the time being.

Also made mad trousers for dses2 and 3 for a parade they were in. Ha! Those trousers were a learning curve but once I got the hang of them they were actually quite straightforward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now