Charity Christmas Tree - Theme is Pastry (or Pas-tree) HELP!

(17 Posts)
ishouldcocoa Fri 15-Nov-13 18:33:56

I've had to NC for this as it could out me before the month is over...

I've agreed to decorate a 4' tree for the local church christmas tree festival, and I thought I'd enter one with the theme of "Pastry" (or "Paste-tree" is I think its being spelt).

Anyway, it all seemed like a good idea at the time, and I was chuffed with the whole idea. I've now got about 2 weeks to go and need to pull something out of the bag in terms of decorations..

So far, I've got lots of pastry cutters and tartlet tins that I hope will twinkle slightly. I want to hang pics of Mary Berry, and Paul Hollywood, and maybe a reference to "soggy bottoms". Rolling pins ore obv. too heavy to hang.

I thought about getting some flour bags, emptying them, and hanging them up. Maybe some mince pies scattered (artfully) around the base.

I've thought of salt dough - but to do what with it?

Wise MNers - any help or advice appreciated.

TBH, not sure if this is an Arts and Crafts subject or a Christmas one!

ishouldcocoa Fri 15-Nov-13 20:07:05

Bump

Foil tartlet cases - perhaps 2 glued together by the rims so you have a squared off bauble shape - hung on ribbons

Choux pastry balls threaded on strings to look like popcorn garlands

Alternatively you could make a 4' high pyramid of profiteroles (a croque whatsit) and decorate with edible stars and glitter.

Trumpton Fri 15-Nov-13 20:31:44

Gingerbread men cut out from pastry ?

ishouldcocoa Fri 15-Nov-13 22:15:53

Oh, thank you for the choux pastry idea - good one! Thank you..

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 09:26:14

Why don't you scan in a flattened home pride flour bag into a draw-type program.

Reduce the size down and duplicate the small images ready to print out on thick A4 card.

Cut out the images and stick them onto some festival red ribbon and voila you have yourself some pretty mini "Pastryesque" bunting for your tree

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 09:31:49

Another thought - have you checked out E-Bay for mini rolling pins to hang on the tree:-

rolling pins

Not sure that these are the cheapest one available there though...

ishouldcocoa Thu 21-Nov-13 17:48:33

I love the mini rolling pins idea - have ordered some... and will scan and print some Homepride flour bags. They'll be good for draping.

So - I have Mary Berry to hang as my 'Angel' at the stop of my tree, I have all manner of biscuit and pastry cutters from little tart tins, to snowflake cutters and those crinkly cutters you use for stamping out rounds in pastry that I will hang off the tree. I also have 2 sets of white lights, and I'll sort out the rolling pins and bag bunting.

Have I missed anything else? I'd love a reference to 'soggy bottoms' but can't work out how to incorporate it.

Any Ideas?

Thank you, though, for your thoughts so far.

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 20:12:10

...Soggy Bottom is more difficult

What about designing some hanging plaques for the Tree - in the "Keep Calm and ..." mode (passe I know but..) -

"What Girl can resist a Soggy Bottom"

"I'm just a Tart with a Soggy Bottom"

I don't know - I'm clutching at straws here for you....

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 21:06:49

...ops just re-read your initial post - probably not appropriate for a Church tree...

ishouldcocoa Thu 21-Nov-13 21:30:00

Hmmm... vicar is quite broad minded... I wonder if I could get away with the "Tart with a soggy bottom"?

Love it grin

(I was going to include Paul Hollywood on the tree somewhere but he's been such a naughty boy recently, I have yet to forgive him for leaving his wife!)

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 22:07:29

...having a boring evening in and have found the following for you:-

...this program allows to enter any wording to suit - but my two test attempts for you:-

soggy bottom 1

soggy bottom 2

Original web page where you can make up your own slogan and then print/save it is as follows:-

KEEP CALM GENERATOR

Have fun thinking up your own "Soggy Bottom" slogans...

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 22:12:46

What about making some shortcrust pastry decorations and cutting the middle out with a biscuit cutter. Then shove a boiled sweet in the centre and bake - this will dissolve and give you a stained glass effect...

Google Stained Glass Biscuits...

lookoveryourshouldernow Thu 21-Nov-13 22:49:54

...we need to see this tree when it has been completed ???

ishouldcocoa Fri 22-Nov-13 12:40:16

You are a genuis, Look!

Thought I might get some round red stickers done, so I could hang them like baubles off the tree.

I will post pics, but seem to remember that they never come out too well. Tricky lighting conditions in the church...

ishouldcocoa Sun 24-Nov-13 17:35:48

My mini rolling pins have arrived! They're so dinky grin

NoComet Sun 24-Nov-13 18:30:16

Children's baking sets, I'm sure if you ask around someone will have something.
I know we have had both small wooden and plastic rolling pins, plastic cookie and even play dough cutters might me colourful.

I have both plastic letters and smaller metal ones which might make a Noel etc garland.

Oven gloves, tea towels, aprons to make a tree skirt, I'm sure you can borrow some.

Gold painted wooden spoons,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now