We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Fleece quilt backing do I need wadding?

(6 Posts)
Clickityclack Tue 12-Nov-13 18:39:15

I posted a while ago about making a quilt for a new baby.
I've done my quilt top and I think I'd like to back it with fleece but I'm not sure whether or not I would need wadding aswell?
Also would it look daft being able to see all the stitching on the plain fleece? I'd have to be super dead straight wouldn't I?
Any advice gratefully received!

shimmeringinthesun Tue 12-Nov-13 19:42:00

Some thin wadding would be ok just to help give it a little body.
As for the stitching, have you considered using a little hand embroidery to do holding stitches at specific points of your quilting, rather than the whole piece?

I use all 6 threads of embroidery thread to do this.
*Starting on the right side, take needle/thread through to reverse side, leaving a short 'tail' of thread on right side.
*Making a tiny stitch in same area, bring N/Th through to Right side.
*Repeat by taking N/Th back through to reverse side using same entry point as before.
*Bring N/Th back to right side, again using entry point from reverse side.
*Tie a reef knot in embroidery thread, then cut, leaving a tail of approx 1cm.
This creates a little decorative feathery quilting knot.

Repeat as often as desired.

HTH

The last time I was in my local quilt shop a lady came in who always backs with fleece and never uses any batting. To make quilting easier she also uses a spray adheasive to bond the front to the fleece and then washes the quilts.

LatteLady Wed 13-Nov-13 15:12:03

I would use wadding as it makes a better sandwich.

As to the actual sewing together, think about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) with that you can doodle with your needle so you don't need to do straght lines if that scares you. Youtube is your friend or if you really want to play then buy a craftsy tutorial when they are on offer.

Clickityclack Fri 15-Nov-13 18:12:24

Wadding seems like the way to go, any reccomendations?

lattelady I have never done free motion quilting as that scares me more, is it easy-ish? Would I need a special foot for my machine?

Pegfreak Sat 16-Nov-13 16:54:51

I have made baby quilts to sell. I was advised (IIRC it was by someone who makes quilts for the Linus Project) that babies under a year old should not sleep under a quilt as it can get too hot for them. Therefore I'd suggest you'd be as well just using fleece as the backing, unless the baby's carers are happy to use it as a playmat, buggy blanket, that type of thing until it's over a year. I always put a warning card on my wee quilts to make people aware when they were buying them.

Having said all that, if you still want to use wadding I used this one and found it fine to work with.

Yes, you'd need a special foot for your machine for free motion quilting and you'd need to be able to drop your feed dogs. There are lots of tutes and whatnot on the net. I'd advise practising a bit first to get the hang of it and see how your stitches lie.

Look forward to hearing how you get on. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now