We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Presents for a knitter

(15 Posts)

Hello. My sister has put one thing on her Christmas list... wool. But we can't all just buy her wool. Do any knitters out there have good ideas for presents for knitters? We'd be spending up to £30. She has all the usual stuff... knitting bags, needle holders etc, and she has LOADS of books. She prefers knitting big blankets or lots of squares and then sewing them into blankets. I am totally stuck!
Thanks

Dutchoma Tue 12-Nov-13 16:28:26

Blankets take a lot of 'wool'. Best get a idea of what she would like so you don't all get her different thicknesses and mixes.

Grotbagstwin Tue 12-Nov-13 16:30:57

I sell yarn/wool and we are getting lots of people buying balls for family and friends, if she has all of the other knitting bits maybe some nice wool and a few patterns.

ArtisanLentilWeaver Tue 12-Nov-13 16:32:27

How about big needles and some extra chunky wool roving? Or the oversized mega huge needles and a pattern book for massive knits? They are great for using up stashes.

Ooh I'm going to look up mega needles and chunky yarn. She only ever knits blankets... never clothes, but she may like a pattern for a fast-to-knit chunky blanket! Thank you.

Dutchoma Tue 12-Nov-13 16:41:23

I just today spoke to someone who was knitting with 15mm needles and said it was murder. If you want to knit a blanket in the Debbie Bliss wool that MN use for their woolly hugs, you can get about 6 balls for £30. That makes wonderful squares (about 18), but not a blanket.

ArtisanLentilWeaver Tue 12-Nov-13 17:59:25

Extreme knitting

I have had a chance to do a row on extreme needles and it wasn't too bad. About seven different yarns were used all at once on the project. I think it must get pretty heavy as the project nears completion.

Blimey, that's awesome!

Does she have a lot of knitting books? There are some great books out there - books of blocks for afghans, lace patterns, guides to tens, if not hundreds of different knitting stitches, fair isle, Aran, socks - all sorts.

There are some great special needles out there too - I have a set of interchangeable knit-pro needles - you get three different length cables and a set of different sized points, that screw onto the cable ends. You can use these for ordinary knitting too - not just circular knitting.

Or you could get her some John Lewis vouchers, so she could go wild in their sale in the New Year.

elfycat Tue 12-Nov-13 18:15:01

Maybe ask her to specify a special wool. There are some lovely Rowan wool blends I would like, but are very expensive. If she picked one type and a colour palette then everyone who wants to could buy a number of balls comparative to their budget.

goes back to look at the cashmere stuff that would be way to expensive to make a blanket from

Whattodowithaminute Wed 13-Nov-13 18:50:22

Just seen a link to a yarn pot on a Christmas thread which I think is a lovely idea.

NomDeClavier Wed 13-Nov-13 18:57:47

Does she have useful accessories? I'm coveting some stitch markers that slide on the needle and look pretty. I also have a handy thing with a charm that keeps my needles together.

LoveSewingBee Thu 14-Nov-13 23:02:51

I would stick to wool. You can never have enough wool.

werenotreallyhere Thu 14-Nov-13 23:06:57

How about a Rowan membership?

Aquelven Fri 15-Nov-13 13:55:23

A subscription to one of the knitting magazines?

I was also going to suggest, like SDT, a set of the interchangeable circular needles. That's what I'm hoping for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now