What's the best way to learn how to use a sewing machine?

(10 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Mon 11-Nov-13 16:23:53

MIL has given me her old one. We live too far away for her to be able to teach me to use it though. Are there any really good blogs or websites to teach me how to use it? I'm a complete beginner - my BFF used to even thread it for me at school and she doesn't have time for that sort of thing these days!

I don't even know what I want to make. Little things, cushion covers, children's clothes maybe.

HalleLouja Mon 11-Nov-13 16:55:25

Depends where you are but there is probably someone nearby offering lessons. If you are in Herts I know a few people who do. Have a google.

I was rubbish at sewing and now am quite good and can make clothes and things like that. If I can do it anyone can.

MrsGSR Mon 11-Nov-13 17:04:21

Have you tried looking for YouTube videos? There's some really good craft ones out there, if it's a popular make you could probably find a few good how to videos.

574ejones Mon 11-Nov-13 19:07:04

Tilly and the Buttons has some basics on her blog. I would advise buying a basic sewing book that you can refer back to (something like Sewing Machine Basics) - this will run through the basics and lead you on to sewing something easy. This is how I got back into sewing.

scurryfunge Mon 11-Nov-13 19:11:21

This time last year I was a total beginner. I just used trial and error with charity shop material to start with until I became more competent. I also used tutorials on the web. I picked up a set of sewing magazines from a charity shop that explained some techniques. You don't have to spend a fortune.

lljkk Mon 11-Nov-13 19:13:04

I plied a friend with chocolate & wine to teach me.

you could try a local sewing machine shop, John Lewis or similar. Otherwise Youtube has lots of tutorials.

LatteLady Wed 13-Nov-13 15:08:24

Play with it. Get yourself a piece of plain fabric and try out the stitches with the book... make a note of the stitch length and tension that works best for it in your manual.

Try some simple projects like cushion covers, then add applique and other trims.

Take a look on Youtube for more challenging techniques... if you lived in Essex, I would be rund like a shot to play!

LoveSewingBee Thu 14-Nov-13 23:06:03

Try to locate the instruction booklet first. If you have a specific problem check pinterest.

I would start off with simple things, like cushion covers and gradually move to more complex things.

Most sewing machines are relatively simple. A lot of problems can be caused by inferior thread and needles IME. Make sure you use the right needle for your fabric and you use the right type of spools for the machine.

LoveSewingBee Thu 14-Nov-13 23:06:41

not spools, but bobbins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now