We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

how many squares for a crocheted baby blanket?

(3 Posts)

decided to make my nephew a blanket for xmas, am using patons smoothie and a 6mm hook, the squares are coming out at 5inch across, so how many would make an ample pram blanket (not too big as need to post it). I had 12 in my head but now I look at it I cant see 12 being big enough.

12 squares as in 3 x 4? So roughly 15" by 20" plus a couple of rounds of edging?

I have just made a Woolly Hug from 5" squares. It is 5 x 5 with 10 rows of edging (just to use each of the colours) and works out at 34" square.

If you are making a pram blanket then it would presumably need to be longer than it is wide. I would estimate doing a 4 x 5 blanket with a couple of rows of edging, so it would be about 22" x 27" - but you could do 3 x 4 first and add a couple of inches on to see how big it will be when finished. If it doesn't look big enough then add on another row and another column.

Sorry if that sounds a bit woolly grin

that soudsn perfect thanks, so will aim for 20 squares to start with a view to adding another column. Hve onoly got 3 colppurs s was thonking 6 rows of edging.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now