We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Crochet book recommendations

(9 Posts)
Oneforthemummy Tue 05-Nov-13 21:36:15

i started learning to crochet about a month ago, mainly using YouTube video tutorials which I found really helpful (although they really do vary in quality!). I'm crocheting granny squares (almost) like a pro now, but have not had much luck following patterns for anything else.

With Christmas coming up I am considering asking someone to buy me a how-to crochet book, with simple explanations of stitches, how to follow patterns and some easy starter patterns. Does anyone have any recommendations of books that they found useful, or would I be better sticking to video tutorials?

Thanks!

Ingles2 Tue 05-Nov-13 21:43:13

Hi mummy... well my first question is ...have the tutorials you've been learning from American? just wondering as american crochet terms are different form english, which may explain why you are struggling with patterns...
FYI an American dc (double crochet) is an English Tr (treble)
Aside from that, I own a craft shop and the 2 starter books that I swear by and recommend the most are
Cute & Easy Crochet by Nikki Trench
and
Crochet Workshop by Erika Knight.
Both are aspirational, have stitch info and simple projects.
HTH's

Oneforthemummy Wed 06-Nov-13 07:52:53

Thanks Ingles - yes, I have found the American/English crochet thing a bit confusing. The granny square tutorial I used was American, although I am not sure how much notice I took of the names of the stitches, but agree this probably won't help when trying to follow written patterns!

Thanks for the recommendations - I will check them out.

HorsesDogsNails Wed 06-Nov-13 21:56:04

I found The Happy Hooker really easy to follow and taught myself from scratch using it......

Jaynebxl Thu 07-Nov-13 07:34:21

I've scoured the shelves of Waterstones and studied all they have to offer on the yarn front and bought most of them and my top favourite is the Molly Makes crochet book. It is a bit pricey at about 16 quid I think but I credibly clear and thorough. Great pictures and descriptions plus it works you through lots of techniques. After using it to help me follow patterns I now feel quite confident to make up some of my own patterns.

Oneforthemummy Thu 07-Nov-13 14:40:45

I can see me becoming an obsessive buyer of crochet books! The Mollie Makes one sounds great (I'm a sucker for nice illustrations) and I have heard good things about the Happy Hooker book - plenty of people seem to have taught themselves with it (just not sure it is my style, but if it does the job that's all that matters).

Hmm, sounds like a might just have to head to Waterstones and feel the heft of these books before making a decision. Any excuse! Thanks all.

looselegs Sat 16-Nov-13 17:14:47

If you like doing the squares-as I do-I can recommend '100 Bright and colourful granny squares to mix and match' by Leonie Morgan.I got it from Waterstones and i love it.

misskatamari Mon 25-Nov-13 09:00:55

I loved the happy hooker by Debbie Stoller too. It is American (but mentions the conversions to English if I recall correctly). To be fair I've been crocheting for years now and as I get a lot of my patterns online, from etsy etc I've always been fine with using the American descriptions. Good luck, crochet is so fun!

sorryimlateagain Mon 25-Nov-13 22:49:30

As well as books some blogs have great tutorials. Lucy at Attic 24 www.attic24.typepad.com is absolutely brilliant. As is Janette at Green Dragonfly www.thegreendragonly.wordpress.com. I taught myself to crochet via YouTube about a year ago and I love it. Very therapeutic smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now