We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Help me choose a new sewing machine!

(6 Posts)
Chocolateporridge Sat 19-Oct-13 07:59:05

My lovely DH is buying me a new sewing machine for our anniversary and I have NO idea what to go for. I've only ever had second hand unreliable ones, so this time I want a VERY reliable, non-temperamental machine. I've always fancied an overlocker, too, but I don't know if you can use an overlocker for just basic sewing too?

I have a budget of around £200 and its not going to be used for anything heavy really, as I don't have lots of spare time.

Any recommendations?

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sat 19-Oct-13 22:29:34

I know nothing about overlockers sorry but Pfaff are reliable. I'm still using my mum's and it must be 30 years ld, never been serviced and sees a lot of action.

I'd get a heavier machine as the lighter ones dance across the table. For £200 I'd get a good second hand one and have it serviced.

Janome overlocker is brilliant, very easy to use and reliable. I'd also suggest a Janome sewing machine too, good quality and value for money.

roguepixie Sun 20-Oct-13 13:31:39

I have a Janome. I got mine from John Lewis and they state that they are their best sellers and, for the person I spoke to, very reliable. In her 15 years in that dept/store she had never seen one returned!

The advantage is that there are models in every price range and the accessories are easy to get hold of.

Chocolateporridge Sun 20-Oct-13 14:23:56

Oh thanks very much! Seems like a Janome is the way to go then. So, can I use an overlocker for normal sewing too, or is it only for fancy hems, elastic etc?

I use mine to overlock seams, hems, it can gather and does give a good finish. I use it for dressmaking, not essential but useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now