Craft shopping addiction

(220 Posts)
JollyScaryGiant Fri 11-Oct-13 22:33:41

Hello. My name is Jolly. I am addicted to buying yarn. I have no more money or space but still went into a charity shop today and asked if they had any wool. Then spent £4.50 on it. 1kg of yarn I have no use for.

I rregularly go on wool websites and fill my trolley. Sometimes I checkout. Sometimes I don't.

I think about crochet a lot.

I clearly have a problem.

GemmaTeller Mon 14-Oct-13 08:50:58

I've knitted three chunky cowls for christmas presents and am curently knitting a little boys hat.

I bought this Sirdar pattern at the weekend just because I thought they were cute:
www.knitandsew.co.uk/Sirdar+Smiley+Stripes+DK+Knitting+Pattern+1478/0_caad041_caaa107/PRPN444.htm

monikar Mon 14-Oct-13 10:36:46

I know someone who hides her wool in suitcases as that is a place her DH is certain never to look!

My obsession also extends to buttons - I have 3 containers of buttons so I don't ever run out. I cut buttons off DH old shirts and DD old pyjamas so even without going to the shops there is a steady supply.

Am I alone in this? blush

IDugUpADiamond Mon 14-Oct-13 10:47:19

Oh yes buttons. I sort them out in jars by colour shades and have them on display and oh the joy at finding just the right button, right????

monikar Mon 14-Oct-13 10:57:31

IDugUpADiamond - ooooh how lovely having them all sorted and on display. I can also relate to the absolute joy of having found just the right button grin.

Sometimes when I need buttons for a particular item, I pour all my buttons out on the bed and then sort them into piles of 'likely' and 'possible' - then lay them on the garment before making my final selection. I have so many buttons this can take ages <satisfied sigh>.

roguepixie Mon 14-Oct-13 11:22:46

Ooooh buttons smile. I love a good button jar/tin. I have a very old shortbread tin with mine in, Many a happy hour spent searching through it. I also remove buttons from shirts etc which then go in my tin.

I also have a ribbon jar. When I get a present (not often sad) which has a nice piece of ribbon on it I keep it in my jar - always good for attaching to other presents.

monikar Mon 14-Oct-13 12:07:58

roguepixie a ribbon jar sounds nice - I have a few bits of ribbon but they are in the bottom of my craft bag but I might start a jar. I read somewhere that someone kept the bits of ribbon from new tops - the ones they use on the shoulders to attach to the hangers. These might be useful.

cate16 Mon 14-Oct-13 17:37:28

My name is Cate, and I buy fabric.

lots of lovely fabric - that is far to nice to cut. grin

and ribbons, and buttons, and metallic threads, and....

IDugUpADiamond Mon 14-Oct-13 18:10:10

I have a transient button jar in addition to all the colour coordinated button jars. Buttons I remove from shirts go in the transient jar because I always cut a bit of fabric and all the thread together with the button, and I don't like contaminating all my other buttons with debris.

JollyScaryGiant Mon 14-Oct-13 18:19:00

You lot are a bad influence. I now neeeeed a button jar. Was sorting out old clothes today and cut off all the buttons before I binned them.

SoupDragon Mon 14-Oct-13 18:23:23

I have more buttons than I could ever need. Two big Quality Street tins full. There have been whole threads dedicated to button tins.

My name is Bottom and I'm a fabric addict.

I have 8 of these www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/30130627/ (IKEA vacuum storage bags) filled with fabric.

Recently I filled my bin (twice!) with really crap fabric I'm never going to make anything out of.

I still have 2 of these www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80135298/#/20135300 (shelving units) filled with fabric, yarn, scraps etc

I also have about 3 of these www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/S49871676/ (storage boxes) filled with other craft stuff (including the herpes of craft supplies, lots of glitter)

Oh fuck I've an IKEA addiction as well, don't I!

cate16 Mon 14-Oct-13 19:27:08

Onthebottom..
Why have I never thought of the vacuum bags???

Similar to you with the boxes though - only I have a few 12of the 'really useful' ones.

And button 'jars'? surely you all need boxes/big tins! smile

ObtuseAngel Mon 14-Oct-13 19:51:48

We should restart this thread on one of the picture-friendly topics. I'll show you mine if you all show me yours. wink

I have lots and lots and lots of fabric. I make quilts, very slowly, and there's no way I'm going to live long enough to use all the fabric that I have. I also have a surprising amount of gorgeous wool, even though I'm not much of a knitter. And I have a box of trimmings. Not to mention a ridiculous number (I reckon about 60-80) of quilting books.

2littlewomen, whereabouts in rural Ireland are you? There is a great little fabric shop and quilting school called Kilbora nearish to Gorey. The woman also runs a B&B and my friend and I have been down a couple of times for a weekend. We take a class on each of Sat and Sun and stay overnight on Saturday night. It's hard to know which is more enjoyable, taking the classes or having a full night's sleep followed by somebody else making breakfast for us. grin

ObtuseAngel Mon 14-Oct-13 19:54:06

Sorry, 3littlewomen not 2

monikar Tue 15-Oct-13 09:38:57

IDugUpADiamond I have never thought of a transient button jar, what a good idea.

I know what you mean about the piece of fabric attached to the button - once I have cut the buttons off a shirt say I then have to use embroidery scissors to remove the thread and any fabric before the buttons are allowed in my containers, otherwise they are not tidy. I have been known to leave my buttons with the fabric attached in a holding zone in a pile by my bed until I can lay hands on my scissors.

What is it about crafting that means everything has to be so tidy and organised? If only this idea could extend to my housework grin.

There is a Falkland Island shop in Wells, Somerset if that is any help to anyone?

There are always knitted jumpers on display in the window so I assume they sell yarn (although I've never ventured in!)

kcumber Tue 15-Oct-13 09:51:50

Craftoholics anonymous!

my name is kcumber, and i too am addicted to yarn. just bought twelce balls of sirdar to make "christmas presents" (it will lie in a box till at least april before i use it).

never thought of a transient button jar.... bugger cleaning the house i shall re-organise my buttons today.

cate16, are you me? grin I have 10 huge really useful storage boxes fill of fabric (sorted by colour and type), another full of remnants, a pile of fabric that's not been sorted yet, and a separate pile of fleece and minky.

Then there's the drawers full of thread, tins of ricrac, buttons & ribbon, plus stabilisers for machine embroidery, and old clothes I want to upcycle...

roguepixie Tue 15-Oct-13 10:21:48

Am currently surfing the net looking at yarn!!! Why!!!!! It's like yarn is my heroin.

I tidied up my stash boxes yesterday. I have yarn in there that I have bought for projects...I have forgotten what projects I bought them for.

I'm a hopeless case, aren't I?

monikar Tue 15-Oct-13 10:37:34

roguepixie yes grin.

I have also bought wool for projects and then forgotten what I bought it for. I also buy wool and don't use it but remember what it was intended for and then it is so difficult to reassign it to another project so it just sits there. A couple of years ago, I decided to make all the little children in the family fair isle hats so I bought all the yarn in lots of lovely colours - of course these hats didn't get started but I still have the wool hmm .

Theas18 Tue 15-Oct-13 11:48:51

OOH I am not alone!

I luffs my stash smile It might be a tad out of countrol though as I have a kg of anonymous blue wool in my cupboard at work as well as some boxes/cases at home!

roguepixie Tue 15-Oct-13 12:17:55

I think we need to start a club, something along the lines of Fight Club ...

The first rule of Yarn Club is ... you never talk about Yarn Club grin

Or,

The first rule of Yarn Club is ... we never talk about the stash grin

Thea "*some*" hmm, methinks that may be a little misleading? Am I right??? grinwink. Welcome to Yarn Club, you are not alone.

monikar, I love it. Could you have a look at some fairisle on ravelry - you could make a lovely 40's style vest? Mary Jane Mucklestone has some good ones.

monikar Tue 15-Oct-13 12:33:47

roguepixie I think the first rule should be never to discuss the stash grin .

I like those 40's style vests but for me that would be too big a project with fair isle all over - hence I was thinking of the children's hats! I have enough wool though to make everyone I know one of those vests blush .

Thea a kilogram stowed at work - how ingenious. I have not considered stowing some of my stash outside of the home until now....

Theas18 Tue 15-Oct-13 12:37:02

Weellll.... y'know can't have anything delivered to home, we're never in wink and it's never made it home LOL

THe cupboard was empty and all...

Theas18 Tue 15-Oct-13 12:37:39

When the kids leave home I'm having a craft room as DH can have an " office" too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now