What sort of paint for wooden dolls house?

(12 Posts)
Rotterwallah Sat 28-Sep-13 17:35:40

I was going to get small tester pots but last time I did that they were emulsion rather than for wood and it dried all chalky

I have both the outside and inside to do

And if there are any crafty folk around - if I do the roof grey should I try and paint tiles on in a darker grey or just leave it plain?

Excited! I want it too look fab, it's an eBay purchase and a bit marked / scribbled on

bebopanddoowop Sat 28-Sep-13 17:55:03

If you prime it with a wood primer anything will go on better in which case you could use emulsion and maybe a spray varnish afterwards so it doesn't feel chalky. I personally would use acrylic paint (you can buy a set pretty cheap and mix your own colours from that) and if you find it a bit thick you can dilute it with a tiny bit of water. What surface is the house? If it's shiny like a glossed wood you maybe better off priming it first or the paint will slip

Rotterwallah Sat 28-Sep-13 18:13:58

Thanks bebop

Yes I'll prone it first, it's not shiny, just raw wood.

In the past when I've painted wood with sample pots I used Annie Sloan wax on top which worked but I'm not sure how durable it would be

Are acrylics v expensive?

And I'm now thinking for the roof painting on tiles in varying shades of grey

this is it if you're interested smile

bebopanddoowop Sat 28-Sep-13 19:17:15

Wow that is so beautiful! Must post photos when it's done please! I'm jealous smile

I have never tried wax. I like spray varnish because it's so quick and easy! Yes acrylic paints can be very cheap! To a certain extent you might feel you get what you pay for as with anything though - there are a massive range of qualities for example I wouldn't buy poundshop own, but a brand like System 3 (by Daler Rowney) would be fine - Windsor and Newton slightly better.

More important is the quality of the brush! You don't need to by sable or an expensive hair - synthetic is fine and you can get different shapes for different strokes!

Where abouts are you roughly based I might be able to recommend somewhere to buy from - I used to sell art products can you tell haha

Showtime Sun 29-Sep-13 00:44:42

Useful free patterns for dolls houses, (wallpaper, exteriors etc. ) arranged by period, available at www.jennifersprintables.com - a real find I think.

Rotterwallah Sun 29-Sep-13 11:20:56

showtime thank you flowers what a fab site, I love the wallpapers. Ooo this is going to be such fun smile

Rotterwallah Sun 29-Sep-13 11:24:25

And thank you bebop too

I'm in north wilts. We've got a pretty good art supply shop locally although I've always thought it very expensive

It's a beauty isn't it? And a bargain to boot

Gatekeeper Sat 05-Oct-13 08:59:13

acrylics are usually a reasonable price and can also be used on fabric, However, I've used bathroom/kitchen paint testers before for painting wood and they have a nice, tough satin finish. B&Q have a good range of different brands and often they have 3 for 2 deals on them

Gatekeeper Sat 05-Oct-13 09:05:32

not just magnolia or trad colours but have them in all shades of blue, green, pinks reds and orange.

as to the roof tiles- it really is personal preference. Try painting a piece of cardboard first- one half 'tiled' and the other side plain and see which one is most appealing

Gatekeeper Sat 05-Oct-13 09:09:01
5madthings Sat 05-Oct-13 09:13:31

no idea but marking my place as we are getting our dd a very similar dolls house for xmas and were also going to decorate it!

you seem to be able to get off cuts of carpet/lino etc as well as patterns and wallpaper.

i had got as far as thinking we would need to prime the wood. i dont know if i want the house to have a 'shiny' finish rather than a matt finish. will gave to get some tester pots and experiment on a scrap bit if mdf to see what i like.

biffnbuster Sun 06-Oct-13 06:45:05

My mum and dad have got an unpainted dolls house for my brothers 2 girls for Christmas. I have ended up with the job of decorating it. I have got as far as finding a sticky backed lino floor tile for the bathroom/kitchen. I am going to make bedding and curtains, and find some wallpaper and carpets. Didn't give much thought to the type of paint etc to use on the outside. glad I came across this thread this morning !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now