What's this knitting stitch?

(6 Posts)
monikar Fri 27-Sep-13 11:01:26

I always think the double rib looks good with the jacket type cardigans, and like you say doesn't pull it in so much.

I have never thought to try it on a baby cardigan though Woolly so I might give that a go smile .

Erebus Thu 26-Sep-13 20:51:05

I tend to be a bit guerrilla with patterns- sewing ones, to date! Though a major difference is that I'm quite a competent seamstress whereas I'm a bit of a newbie to knitting! I am thinking I'll knit my cardigan with double rib as, being 'a bigger lass' (16, with hips!) I don't need any cinching at the waist!

So you actually alternate 'knits' above 'purls' and vice versa.

Thanks for the info.

You work it exactly the same way as single rib.

The first row will be k2, p2, k2, p2 all along finishing with k2. The second row will be p2, k2, p2, k2 all along finishing with p2.

I'm currently knitting a baby cardigan in DK with double rib. The rib is knitted on 3.25mm and the main part is on 4mm but on the last rib row you have to decrease so that the main part is the same width as the rib IYSWIM. You would need to check the cardigan pattern for instructions. smile

Erebus Thu 26-Sep-13 19:44:11

Thanks.

How do you do it?

K2, P2, K2, P2, finishing the row with K2; then Row 2: K2, P2 etc- so the knits are above each other, the purls on top of each other?

Am I right in thinking you don't use a size smaller needles than the body of the piece, either? So you don't get the 'rib' pulling-in effect?

Looks like 2x2 rib. It has the stretch of rib but doesn't pull it in as much as single rib.

Erebus Thu 26-Sep-13 19:35:14

the hem

and how do I do it?

Looking for a type of hem that, unlike rib, doesn't pull the garment in, but which, like this, 'finishes' the bottom edge nicely.

Any ideas?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now