Calligraphy for beginners

(2 Posts)
HomeJames Thu 26-Sep-13 11:35:57

Can anyone recommend a good book or website about calligraphy for beginners? Also a good starter pen and nib set? It's something I've wanted to try for ages and I've been thinking about ways to have a greener Christmas this year and decided to have a go at making my own wrapping paper and cards from recycled materials! I thought I could have a go at making linocut print cards on recycled paper and then writing the messages inside by hand. Excited to have a craft project! Also, sorry for mentioning Christmas... huge family, newborn, these are my excuses for planning so early ;-)

Showtime Fri 27-Sep-13 23:20:03

I'd check the library for a calligraphy book, as the basics are always the same, and only buy books for more experienced stages. Beginning calligraphy is mainly just practice with a pencil and ruled lines, essential to know the shapes before spending money on expensive papers and inks. I've got a 3-nib pen by Manuscript, cost £1.99, which is quite suitable until intermediate -stage. (and years after).
May I suggest writing a message then printing off as many copies as required, as virtually impossible to tell these from originals; although
handwritten envelopes are always admired, and a good way to get in the necessary practice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now