We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

I have made this. What next with leftover wool?

(11 Posts)

I have made a small hat. (See pic on profile.)

This is my first crochet project in about 25 years. I am extremely pleased and excited with how it turned out. The hat is newborn size so I have lots of leftover DK wool.

I'd like to make a scarf for my daughter. Any ideas for an easy pattern? Lots of patterns for children's scarves seem to use a bulkier wool.

I'm on my phone, so can't see your hat, sorry.

I did my DDs scarf in DK in a simple garter stitch to the desired length. You could play with small needles and a drop stitch pattern, or make it ribbed or moss stitch for a little detail? You can always add bobbles or tassels afterwards? Or buy another colour and either do stripes or knit both wools together for a bulky sort of marble effect?

Oops, didn't see the crochet bit, sorry! Play with different hook sizes, add some embellishments after?

TheNinjaGooseIsOnAMission Tue 24-Sep-13 14:25:15

your little hat is so cute smile

what about this or this is simple or this maybe?

are you on ravelry, there's quite a few on there smile

I like the second thing, ninja, do they call that an infinity scarf? It would probably be the best use of the colours I've got. The pattern displays a degree of confidence, it's written in a kind of 'Just make a chain and then crochet this scarf' style, can't be too hard?

Or double up the wool for bulkier patterns? Hm, choices, choices. I have started to try and use ravelry, it's big though, a bit overwhelming.

I got cold feet about adapting or following patterns, so I just crocheted some random rows. See profile pic for scarf. I had to buy a second ball of the blue to finish it, so now I have nearly a whole ball of that leftover. Is this how a hobby starts?

IDugUpADiamond Mon 13-Jan-14 14:51:20

They are both lovely. I personally would use the light blue yarn you have leftover to make a gigantic pompom for the hat. You need to get this though: www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Clover-Extra-Large-Pom-pom-Maker-9587.html

And yes, this is how an obsession hobby starts wink

SoupDragon Mon 13-Jan-14 15:33:10

I had to buy a second ball of the blue to finish it, so now I have nearly a whole ball of that leftover. Is this how a hobby starts?

No, that is how a stash starts. Before you realise it will have taken over and started breeding in the spare room/loft

monikar Tue 14-Jan-14 09:31:09

Yes, it doesn't take long to gather a stash. Once your stash starts to grow with little bits for projects, you will move to the next stage which is the inability to stop buying wool whenever you see it grin .

I categorically do NOT have room for a stash of any sort. That blue's going to sit on the mantelpiece until pom pommed or otherwise dealt with.

whatdoesittake48 Wed 15-Jan-14 16:36:45

How about some texting gloves - you know, the sort where your fingers poke out the end. Really easy - just crochet a tube with a hole for your thumb. You can do decreases to make it fit your wrist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now