Please come and recommend a sewing machine around the £200 mark that won't be fecked by sewing heavy fabrics!

(4 Posts)
duchesse Mon 23-Sep-13 11:00:23

My old Toyota machine is driving me up the wall by its general refusal to actually do any actual sewing. I'm very seriously thinking of getting rid of it and getting a machine that actually works. Does anybody have any recommendations for machines that could cope with say thick curtains?

duchesse Mon 23-Sep-13 11:23:34

I just bought a Janome 525S on a 30 day free trial. <gulp>

RavenRose Mon 23-Sep-13 15:23:14

I have a brother innovis 10, originally bought as a back up but it's now the machine I use most of the time. It's handled every fabric I've chucked at it, from fine silk and chiffon to thick coating and upholstery fabric. I paid about 190 for mine. It doesn't have a lot of stitches, only 16 including buttonholes but I'm mainly a dressmaker so for me it's not an issue.

There's quite a lot out there in this price range so I'd see if there are any local shops which would let you have a play? For 200 you could even find a really good second hand one. Singer do a heavyweight machine designed for heavy fabrics which may be what you need?

RavenRose Mon 23-Sep-13 15:26:15

Ah sorry, just seen you bought the janome! Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now