We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Do you have a favourite wool/yarn brand?

(14 Posts)

I am asking because I often see brand names mentioned. The first branded wool I bought was a James C Brett which I've really enjoyed working with. I've also used Stylecraft but the jury is still out on that one. I've bought some Marriner wool because I found an offer but I've not knitted with it yet. I'd not heard of it, but apparently it's been around for a while. blush
I've recently used some Sirdar, which so far I've been quite impressed with. I got some of the Bohemia super chunky, and I love it! It's so soft! And huge, so knits up quickly. grin

So, what floats your boat/clicks your needles/has you hooked?

mrsharrystyles Sat 21-Sep-13 09:22:15

I like Noro, Scrumptious, Wollemeise. There are so many beautiful yarns.

oooh it gets expensive once you know what you likegrin
I mainly try to get discontinued shades of nice stuff - rowan, sublime, Debbie Bliss. Patons make some good basic yarns.
I have got into naice wool now. Wollmeise, Posh Yarn, Eden Cottage Yarn.
But for washable kids things Style craft Special or Style craft Life are great. Rico does a nice dk that is like Sirdar Snuggly but cheaper and more interesting colours. King Cole Comfort is nice for acrylic for kids too.

MrsShrek3 Sat 21-Sep-13 09:29:14

Love Debbie Bliss. meanwhile in the real world I mostly use sirdar as it is in budget! Recently got enough DB on half price offer to knit dd a jacket tho smile

I've just done a hat and cowl in DB cashmerino after not using it for ages, it is so lovely and soft.

I've not tried DB yet. I've only heard good things. of I see it on sale somewhere I might have a splurge. I have a tendency to buy wool without having a project. blush

Debnie Bliss Rialto Aran is my fave.

aerynsun Sat 21-Sep-13 12:00:24

I love Drops cottons and merinos - lovely colours, nice to crochet with and inexpensive.

Also love Rowan and adrafil but only buy it when I'm feeling flush!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 21-Sep-13 18:21:46

Sublime extra fine merino is my current favourite.

DB cashmerino and Rialto are lovely too.

I also really like drops extra fine merino which is on special at the moment, check it out here it's very good quality for the money.

For budget things, I do like stylecraft.

whereisthewitch Sat 21-Sep-13 18:24:26

Hayfield and King Cole are great budget yarns, I can't afford the expensive stuff unfortunately but Style craft is great!

Dutchoma Sat 21-Sep-13 19:47:00

I am absolutely addicted to Jamieson and Smith Shetland Wool. I have a huge box full of odds and ends of 2-ply jumperweight. However, I haven't done a Shetland jumper for a few years now as the wool has become so very expensive.

LoveSewingBee Sat 21-Sep-13 23:12:26

I like Noro, Lang (especially the 100% merinos), Katia and an Italian one I can't remember the name right now.

LoveSewingBee Sat 21-Sep-13 23:15:13

Lana Grossa

firesidechat Fri 27-Sep-13 16:11:42

I love Stylecraft Special Dk for cheap and cheerful projects. I made a close weave crochet blanket with it and it looks far more expensive than it really is. I'm using the Stylecraft Classique Cotton at the moment and it is really nice. Not at all splitty which is great for a cotton.

Debbie Bliss is lovely, but oh the knots! I probably won't use it again for that reason. There should not be knots in a yarn which costs that much.

Sublime extra fine merino is just what it says - sublime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now