We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

cheapest non nasty acrylic yarn for granny squares?

(58 Posts)
EarlyIntheMorning Tue 17-Sep-13 21:27:16

Bearing in mind how expensive yarn is and how much would be needed to make a blanket for a single bed, what's the cheapest yarn I could get away with for the end result to look good and have longevity?

tribpot Tue 17-Sep-13 21:29:04

Early, the one used for Woolly Hugs (at least for Little Hugs) is Stylecraft Special DK yarn.

I have now made 4 blankets that work out at about 4 foot by 5 foot - so not quite single bed size (I would think you'd need 4.5 foot by 6 foot at least).

I used about 8 x 100g of Stylecraft special which sells for £1.99 on the Deramores website. You would perhaps need 10 balls so about £20 worth of yarn.

There is a photo of my latest blanket on my profile. It is a circle-to-square pattern and I used join as you go rather than sewing them together. It's a brilliant method for a lazy trout like me grin

SoupDragon Wed 18-Sep-13 08:06:50

Yes, Stylecraft Special DK smile

£1.69 per ball at Wool Warehouse

SoupDragon Wed 18-Sep-13 08:07:40

NB. There are some very bright colours - avoid Jaffa, Bright Green, Bright Pink and Fiesta unless you want neon smile

EarlyIntheMorning Wed 18-Sep-13 09:44:25

Thank you everyone. Stylecraft Special DK seems the way to go smile. I should clarify that I haven't even learned how to crochet yet but my friend is teaching me and she has high expectations for me grin.

EarlyIntheMorning Wed 18-Sep-13 09:46:55

Thank you for the warning SoupDragon. I really really wanted a little bit of orange. I guess it would be okay to find a suitable orange from a different brand.

Thanks to Soupy's warning on another thread I'm going to make my niece a blanket for uni next year in black, white and jaffa - it will look like Nemo. My niece is driving my poor sister to despair with her wardrobe full of black and sludgy colours. smile

SoupDragon Wed 18-Sep-13 10:19:14

I saw a Nemo blanket on Ravelry. It looked fabulous smile I plan on making a Little Hug to use up the Jaffa I ordered in ignorance grin

Dutchoma Wed 18-Sep-13 12:32:04

Not sure what you meant by a Nemo blanket, Soupdragon I searched it on Ravelry and the only thing it came up with was a Sea blanket, which, incidentally, was created by a girl who used to live round the corner from us before she emigrated to Canada.

Quite an expensive pattern, though and knitted, not crocheted.

MiaowTheCat Wed 18-Sep-13 12:32:43

I have a granny stripe cushion using ALLLLL of the colours listed to avoid as hideously bright! DD1 loves it.

SoupDragon Wed 18-Sep-13 12:33:17

It was just orange, white and black like Nemo the clown fish.

PeterParkerSays Wed 18-Sep-13 12:43:13

Just a tip - if you're doing a blanket, just make one granny square and keep letting it get bigger and bigger, changing colour every row / every couple of rows. Loads of different squares to sew together at the end are a pain in the arse and a real slog.

I recommend either the Stylecraft Special dk, mentioned above, or the James C Brett, Top Value dk - both come in a really good range of colours, and are good to knit or crochet with.

monikar Wed 18-Sep-13 14:40:22

Hobbycraft used to sell some wool called Bonus DK which was nice and soft and not too pricey. I think it was made by Sirdar. They had a good range of colours too. I knitted some into baby cardigans as I thought it was soft enough for that.

Peter I made a blanket by the continuous method you described - it was good in that there was no sewing up, but it seemed so so slow to do, as one round would take ages. I do a lot of knitting so have lots of oddments so these blankets are ideal for using them up.

Woolly sorry if it is a silly question but how do you join as you go? I always sew up using an oversewing stitch but it can show and look a bit untidy.

EarlyIntheMorning Wed 18-Sep-13 14:58:02

The sewing is very off putting and probably over ambitious. Maybe I should do a stripey one... grin

Monikar have a look at the Attic24 blog. She has a photo tutorial fir joining granny squares. It is the one I followed and I could kick myself for not doing it sooner as it is so easy. I do end up doing a (uk) double crochet in the chain space to join - I think Attic24 uses a slip stitch - but I am happier with my method.

Now if I could only get my head around crocheting over the loose ends after joining in a new colour...grin

monikar Wed 18-Sep-13 15:08:13

Woolly thank you very much, I will have a look at that smile . I try and crochet over the loose ends when I join a new colour but it never looks as tidy as sewing them in afterwards.

IDugUpADiamond Thu 19-Sep-13 13:24:17

I am also learning how to crochet at the moment and I'm planning on doing the Atic24 granny stripe. Thank you for the yarn recommendation. If I was to attempt a single bed size blanket, how many balls of yarn will I need to buy?

monikar Thu 19-Sep-13 14:20:15

My crochet blankets are for babies and I tend to do about a yard square - this uses about 400-500g. I would think a single bed size would be at least double this size so if I were you then I would buy 1000g so that would be 10 balls of 100g.

IDugUpADiamond Thu 19-Sep-13 15:09:45

Really monikar? That doesn't sound like the crazy amounts I thought in my head! smile

SoupDragon Thu 19-Sep-13 15:39:44

My not-quite-single-bed sized rainbow ripple took about 1.5 100g balls each of 7 colours. So, between 10 and 14 would probably be about right for single bed. I would estimate more than 10 though - I can't remember whether the Stripe uses more or less yarn than a Ripple.

IDugUpADiamond Thu 19-Sep-13 15:46:09

Any photos Soup?

SoupDragon Thu 19-Sep-13 16:47:24

Um... here and here

It is what I call "sofa snuggle size" so is slightly less than 5'7" long.

IDugUpADiamond Thu 19-Sep-13 16:49:51

You made that??? It's gorgeous! How long did it take you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now