Making the most of ruined fur coat?

(26 Posts)
Pizdets Tue 10-Sep-13 20:18:22

I went into the spare room today to find my dog had savaged the arm of my vintage fur coat and strewn it all over the floor. To say I'm gutted is an understatement, but am trying to think positive and decide if I can put the fur to good use. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could make from it? Maybe cushions? Or a wrap? Just looking for ideas and inspiration really so it's not wasted. I'd never buy fur new and would hate to just get ridof the coat ebentirely.

Any ideas appreciated!

ethelb Wed 02-Oct-13 23:18:00

The rabbits are already dead. The OP is doing her best to not be wasteful. confused

OP could you take it to a tailor?

KatOD Wed 02-Oct-13 20:17:22

OED definition of opinion: "...a view or judgement formed about something..."

Either way, I have expressed it and wasn't necessarily expecting people to agree with me. Anyway, didn't intend to hijack the OP's thread so apologies for that aspect of this.

SoupDragon Wed 02-Oct-13 20:07:24

It wasn't an opinion, it was a judgement.

KatOD Wed 02-Oct-13 20:06:26

That's obvious, however I believe I can share an opinion on an open forum.

SoupDragon Wed 02-Oct-13 19:58:15

Not everyone agrees with your vegan ideals.

KatOD Wed 02-Oct-13 19:54:32

Strangely enough I was referring to the sentience of the being prior to it being made into someone's fashion item... And then craft project

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 02-Oct-13 18:33:32

I'm with FairyDogmother... The dog's got the moral highground. Take the hint.

missinglalaland Wed 02-Oct-13 16:27:21

How about a cowl or wrap like this:
http://www.wendyslookbook.com/2012/11/holiday-warmth-wool-cape-faux-fur-snood/

SoupDragon Wed 02-Oct-13 07:34:49

Since when is a vintage fur coat a sentient being? Other than in a horror story - Coat - When Clothing Goes Bad. Certificate 18

KatOD Tue 01-Oct-13 23:17:36

Wow, rabbit skins, arts and crafts. Just astonished really. What a lack of respect for sentient beings. hmm

Feckbloodypets Tue 01-Oct-13 23:09:01

HeyJudith just saw this. Yip hate the thought of old pelts just getting flung out and have been known to do this for myself and another friend, turned out as a great shrug for evening wear, also used some for costumes for friends re-enactment things.Funnily enough have never been to a hunt ball

Purlesque Thu 26-Sep-13 07:30:56

Cushion covers?

georgeannaskala Mon 23-Sep-13 09:51:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

I'd take the karma hint and throw it in the bin

JamNan Mon 23-Sep-13 09:42:12

A Dr Zhivago hat?
A floor rug?
Use to make a throw?

I'd go with the gilet idea myself.

Showtime Mon 23-Sep-13 00:07:18

Would it be possible to shorten coat and use this fur to remake the damaged sleeve?

AboutTimeForAChange Sat 21-Sep-13 10:47:41

My Mum had this problem. She sewed it back together by hand, you would never know. I have no idea why she bothered though as she doesn't wear it anymore.

HeyJudith Fri 13-Sep-13 13:35:07

Feck would you really take apart old rabbit skins and resew the strips to use as a scarf? And a "fab going-out scarf" at that? shock Where do you go wearing it, the local fox-hunt's Christmas ball?

<goggles>

<uck>

HeyJudith Fri 13-Sep-13 13:32:54

Cut off the other arm, stuff it and your dog has a new toy for Christmas!

SoupDragon Fri 13-Sep-13 07:45:56

Or make a fake dog our of the coat and turn the dog into a coat.

(no, of course I'm not serious!)

EarlyIntheMorning Thu 12-Sep-13 09:06:37

A nice soft bed for your dog? grin

Feckbloodypets Wed 11-Sep-13 19:09:51

Hi if you take the lining out you should see the strips of fur they have used to make the jacket. Being rabbit I think they should be quite thick. I would unpick these and stitch on the short side to make a scarf. Line with your colour choice of silk and you have a fab going out scarf or 3. But I will say it is very hard to sew and you will need a leather needle and a pair of pliers or a heavy duty machine.

Pizdets Tue 10-Sep-13 20:45:41

hum you might be right sad

heyjudith it's just dark rabbit fur, nothing special but very soft. I don't think i'd wear it as a gilet, to be honest and it's probably too soft to use as a bag but thanks for your suggestions!

HeyJudith Tue 10-Sep-13 20:42:10

Turn it into a gilet? Make a small clutch bag from it?

What kind of fur is it? (look and feel?)

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Tue 10-Sep-13 20:27:00

A good Christian burial?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now