We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

decoupage varnish?

(9 Posts)
MrsWelly Wed 04-Sep-13 15:11:37

I have a case on my tablet which I want to decoupage (loads of old magazines lying around). I'm OK with that bit but then I'm going to need to seal it somehow, is there a special decoupage varnish I need?

MrsWelly Wed 04-Sep-13 16:27:54

Bump

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 04-Sep-13 19:49:51

DD 9 has done some decoupage and we just used some cheap white PVA glue from Hobbycraft.

www.decopatchme.co.uk/decopatch-glues-varnish-brushes-and-guesso-43-c.asp this site has varnish .

MrsWelly Wed 04-Sep-13 20:53:32

Thanks, I have some PVA I don't know why I didn't think of that!

DontCallMeDaughter Wed 04-Sep-13 20:57:35

Agree that you can just use pva, but... If your case is going to be submitted to lots of wear and tear, you might want to give it a coat of varnish at some point to toughen it up.

cocoplops Thu 05-Sep-13 22:24:15

I've used watered down PVA - that's what was suggested from looking around the internet. But also bought some Decopatch glue (was in a pink pot). the Decopatch stuff was around £7 but was really good and gave a really nice shiny finish that the PVA didn't. I think the Decopatched stuff will last longer too.

MadeOfStarDust Fri 06-Sep-13 17:24:07

With the decopatch stuff watch it is not going to get warm as ours went a bit tacky.... not overly so, but paper got stuck to it if left in a pile for a while...

Showtime Mon 09-Sep-13 22:38:51

There is something specific made by Daler-Rowney, but forget the name. I've used clear nail-polish, two thin coats, with great success over small areas.

Lottelove78 Wed 25-Sep-13 12:50:48

I've only tried the PVA for the few pieces i've done and its worked fine but have heard good things about Modpodge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now