We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Teepee poles

(8 Posts)
yegodsandlittlefishes Thu 01-Aug-13 09:17:05

We've always used the bigger, longer bamboo canes. They are sturdy enough to carry a blanket. 5 per tipi means they can have a nice doorway. Just a 2 metre length of rope is fine to tie it with, and one end can be used as a tie back for the door. the plastic things you can buy to slot the canes into to make plant supports break, so are a false economy IME.

GemmaTeller Thu 01-Aug-13 09:08:32

I used laurel branches for a makeshift tent last year.

PukousMucous Wed 31-Jul-13 14:26:20

Oooh, Goose that sounds perfect, I shall hunt for hazels under the cover of darkness.

PolterGoose Wed 31-Jul-13 11:50:35

A stout hazel stick would do. Every year I have to trim the straight branches off my contorted hazel, they're fab for tent building and tepees, often over 8ft long.

MERLYPUSS Tue 30-Jul-13 20:19:36

You can make it from broom handles if it's only for a little one

PukousMucous Tue 30-Jul-13 19:27:46

Is bamboo strong enough, does it need to be wide?

Bamboo canes in the garden section are much cheaper :-)

PukousMucous Tue 30-Jul-13 18:52:07

DS saw a teepee in a shop and loved it so thought I'd give it a go for his birthday.

Has anyone tried? Loads of tutorials on Internet but looking for poles is the tricky bit. In Homebase the right size dowel rods are £20 each! Which would not make for a cheap version. Any ideas or experience of these matters?

Ta

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now