New Sewing Machine - computerised or mechanical?

(8 Posts)
DancingRoundTheKitchen Sun 04-Aug-13 19:35:59

I got the janome DC3050 it is amazing.
I did a few alterations this weekend (taking up jeans / shortening a dress) and I can believe how easy it is and the difference it has made to the way my sewing looks - the finish is so much more professional.
I bought I pattern for a top with a Peter Pan collar that I am desperate to start but with 3 DCs at home on summer holidays, it'll have to wait!

PeerMon Thu 01-Aug-13 21:47:04

Ooh exciting! What did you get?

DancingRoundTheKitchen Thu 01-Aug-13 21:40:22

Thanks for your advice.
I decided to go for a computerised. I picked it up this evening and I can't wait to get sewing on it! I've just read through the manual and am amazed at what it can do, my old machine was 30 years old - times have changed!

starfishmummy Mon 29-Jul-13 21:40:49

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. When I bought a new one (a few years ago) I went with mechanical as it did and still does all I want from it.

DancingRoundTheKitchen Mon 29-Jul-13 21:36:30

Thank you. It's good to know you get on well with a computerised one. I think I'm leaning towards that.
I spoke to a helpful lady at John Lewis who recommended a computerised one.

LeFlaneur Mon 29-Jul-13 14:06:14

(sorry, posted too soon) option and the speed limiter, both of which are helpful for sewing round curves/corners. I used to have a mechanical Singer but I much prefer my Husqvarna. It's a bit quieter too. On the other hand, if things go wrong with a computerised machine, I think they are more problematic to fix.

LeFlaneur Mon 29-Jul-13 14:02:52

Hi, I have a bottom of the range computerised Husqvarna and I love it. The functions which I find really useful are the needle up/down

DancingRoundTheKitchen Sun 28-Jul-13 21:17:31

I'm looking for a new sewing machine.
Can't decide between a sturdy mechanical or more lightweight computerised.
Can anyone offer any advice? Something is telling me more could go wrong with a computerised - but I'm probably completely wrong.
Can anyone give me any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now