Crochet hooks - recommendations?

(10 Posts)
Wolfcub Sat 27-Jul-13 11:08:14

I'd recommend prym hooks. they have a rubberised black handle that feels dry and soft. I can't hold a pen normally at all and can't handwrite for more than a few lines without pain but I can crochet for hours with my prym

Tweetinat Sat 27-Jul-13 10:08:38

I wonder if you would get on with the Addi Swing? You kind of hold it so that the grip is in your palm and it may stop the hook from pressing your finger so badly. It may be that the hooks you've been using are too thin, thus compressing your fingers together so a fatter hooks (a la Swing, Amour etc) may help.

MiaowTheCat Wed 24-Jul-13 19:11:08

Can't manage to hold it like a pen - I kind of hold it through my hand but it does rest on and press on my finger next to my little finger quite badly and I grip on the bit where the hook size is markered if that makes sense.

Have ordered a clover hook and a set of wider bamboo handled hooks to see if I get on with either of them - or I'm going to have to knock things on the head for a while (which do NOT want to do since I've just ordered some more yarn!)

Tweetinat Wed 24-Jul-13 17:26:04

What kind of hold do you have and do you hold the hook towards at the top of slightly lower down? I ask because I bought the kit pro soft hook, tulip etimo, addi swing and clover amour and found the amour the only one I could use based on my hold (pencil style) and that I hold the hook low down so need a long hook.

hairclipcloe Wed 24-Jul-13 11:42:17

I started using the tulip Etimo rose hooks after my hand started hurting, I find them very comfy, have the right amount of grip and roll around really well.

ParkerTheThief Wed 24-Jul-13 08:29:06

Addi swing hooks. They are ergonomic and lovely to use.
I also like prym and clover soft touch but the Addi is my all time favourite.

RatherBeOnThePiste Wed 24-Jul-13 08:21:16

I use one of these, was given one and have never looked back. Tis fab

PolterGoose Tue 23-Jul-13 23:47:16

I was using a Knit-Pro Symfonie wooden hook which was pretty good and a million times better than plain metal, but recently started with the Knit-Pro Soft Grip hook which is divine grin

yegodsandlittlefishes Tue 23-Jul-13 22:11:29

You could try making handles from fimo/sculpey style polymer clay. (Mould it around a metal hook to desired size and shape and put in low oven for about 30 minutes to set). Hobbycraft do their own brand of bright colours which they sell off cheap (about 50p a small block) from time to time. You would probably need a half or whole small block per handle, possibly more, depending on what shape you need to make it.

MiaowTheCat Tue 23-Jul-13 17:28:46

Starting to get worried about my hand pain/stiffness and thinking my workaround consisting of a £1.50 set of Amazon hooks and a bit of dog bandage and micropore tape around the handle isn't quite cutting it (plus the dog bandage goes all sticky in hot weather) and since it's DH's payday... I may well be liberating some of the fundage.

So decent hooks/sets please?! Not ebay since I do not speak ebay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now