We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

One hour dress (reprint from 1925). Has anyone made it?

(6 Posts)
ZZZenagain Tue 23-Jul-13 16:45:17

Thinking about getting one of these little booklets. There are three - reprints from the 1920s and written by Mary Brooks Picken.

I am wondering how they work out, whether they just look like sacks and if they are difficult. I understand you have to take your measurements and make the pattern yourself. Sounds a bit beyond me but they are basic I think.

ZZZenagain Tue 23-Jul-13 16:48:06

They are pictured on this website:

cover pages

marissab Tue 23-Jul-13 16:55:47

They look gorgeous!

CamperWidow Wed 24-Jul-13 11:16:42

They look lovely and would probably be a good starting point of drafting/dress making. I would love to have a go!!

ZZZenagain Thu 25-Jul-13 15:15:11

I think I'll order one and have a go at one of the more basic dresses. Each booklet explains how to make 17 or 21 dresses which are not all variations of the same dress so I'll have a look and see how it goes. They don't seem to use facings just binding which I haven't done before.Will see how it goes.

marissab Thu 25-Jul-13 19:09:04

Let us know. I am a very newbie sewer so prob too hard for me sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now