(32 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Tue 23-Jul-13 11:02:07

Can you tell me all about it?

How easy it was to set up
Do you sell much
General pitfalls etc

Thanks! smile

skyblue11 Sun 29-Sep-13 18:21:13

Gemma, I fail to see where my 'attitude' is!
I fully understand about the insurance aspect of trading at craft fairs, it just seems extreme to say sell on folksy and have this in case someone swallows a button!!!
Sorry if you're offended by this it wasn't intended, also you're last comment is a little offensive to me!

btw, good luck trying to sell at a reputable craft fair with no insurance.

GemmaTeller Sun 29-Sep-13 15:55:07

skyblue I've tried to explain why you need insurance but I'm not engaging anymore, I really don't like your attitude in either of your posts.

btw, good luck trying to sell at a reputable craft fair with no insurance.

skyblue11 Sun 29-Sep-13 12:31:36

So if I were to sell something with a button, it came off and they choked on it are you saying they'd sue me? You don't hear of many cases with this happening at M & S!

Seabright Sun 29-Sep-13 11:48:31

Anyone know of insurance that allows you to sell worldwide? The CMTIA one is UK & EU only

GemmaTeller Sat 28-Sep-13 12:15:17

Etsy and Folksy both charge a listing fee and take a final fee on a sale no matter what the method of payment.

Paypal also take a fee to process payments.

These should be factored in your selling price.

It's much less hassle to register with HMRC compared with the hassle of being caught/reported if you don't declare any income (whether you make a profit or not).

You need public and product liability insurance if you sell handmade items, (scenarios: if someone trips over your craft stall or something you display hanging up falls on them, if you leave a pin in something and they cut themselves, if you sell something with a sharp edge, a button can be a choking hazard, all slightly extreme you might think but its best to be covered)

www.cmtia.co.uk/

skyblue11 Fri 27-Sep-13 17:10:33

How much does it cost to receive money, I think that they take a cut if it's paypal but you also have to option to be paid by credit card too.

If I sold handmade items why would I need liability insurance for these items and how much hassle is it to be registered at HMRC?

GemCheshire Fri 26-Jul-13 20:51:32

Hi Suddengeekgirl

I have both an Etsy (US based) store and a Folksy (UK based) store and although both are easy wnough to set up and use, I don't find that they bring in much ££

Khaleasy Fri 26-Jul-13 13:49:50

General Pitfalls - there are a lot of people selling on Etsy. A unique product is unlikely. (There are also a lot of customers though)
Etsy change their algorhythms a lot so it can be hard to keep getting found in search; it requires a LOT of effort to be noticed.

Have a look on their forums, loads of things being chatted about there:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/forums

Don't be disheartened if you don't sell straight away. It took two and a half months for me to make my first sale. I have made 111 sales in total now (but I put in next to no effort now). I have found from reading extensively about other shops that 2 years can be a turning point for a shop as can listing more than 100 items.

These two links are a really good insight into Etsy sellers, and are normally quite a good read:

https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/tags/quit-your-day-job/

https://www.etsy.com/blog/en/tags/featured-shop/

Khaleasy Fri 26-Jul-13 13:45:06

I sell an item on Etsy every 4 days, which isn't a lot but it has taken a year to get to that point!

My Etsy fees average about £10-12 a month.

80% of my customers are in the US

GemmaTeller Fri 26-Jul-13 13:24:34

When your item sells you are charged 3.5% commission on the selling price

lolalotta Fri 26-Jul-13 12:26:26

P.S: What's a commission fee?

lolalotta Fri 26-Jul-13 12:25:55

Gemma would you get in trouble of you linked your shop? I would love to see it! grin

GemmaTeller Fri 26-Jul-13 08:15:36

A bit of both - my shops are wedding related

Suddengeekgirl Thu 25-Jul-13 21:48:02

Gemma - if you don't mind me asking... Are your fees so high because you sell a lot of items each month, or becaus they are 'high ticket' items or another reason! confused

You wouldn't pay that sort of fee if you weren't listing much or if it wasn't selling like hot cakes? confused I'm guessing your shop is rather successful! smile

GemmaTeller Thu 25-Jul-13 21:42:51

Commission fees and relisting fees

lolalotta Thu 25-Jul-13 21:28:06

Gemma why are your Etsy bills so high each month? Are they all relisting fees???? shock

(you don't need to register as a company, just self-employed sole trader, but you will need insurance too.
if you ring HMRC they will tell you everything you need to know)

yy - if you only take money to cover costs (not labour) then you don't need to worry, but if you are taking money to make a bit extra (and HMRC sees profit as any income after expenses, not including your own time/labour), then you need to tell HMRC.

CockyFox Thu 25-Jul-13 13:44:01

Sorry I started that about insurance, yes I have public and product liability cover, mine covers me for craft fairs and distance sales to UK. and the rest of the EU.

I don't think you need insurance to donate things (or donating all profits) but if you are selling for profit for yourself then HMRC see you as a business and you need to be registered and insured.

wfrances Thu 25-Jul-13 13:22:11

hi
sorry to hijack the thread
but can /should you have liabilty/product insurance if your not a business?
i sew a lot and have made things for school and church fairs, but not as a business just a hobby
do i need to get some sort of insurance ?

you just need public and product liability here, i think.

(at the moment I'm sole trader, so have that all covered under my shop insurance, it includes distance selling)

I'm setting mine up for this autumn so watching with interest!

Can you sell the same items across the sites? What if somebody buys the same thing before you can take it down elsewhere?

Can you get craft insurance that covers you elsewhere or is it stupidly expensive?

GemmaTeller Wed 24-Jul-13 18:42:48

Yes, you would need craft insurance.

Craft Insurance is specifically for Crafts People who manufacture / sell their product from home, studio, workshop or small craft unit or via craft shows, exhibitions, galleries etc

You would need one that includes Public and Product Liability.

If you shop around you can get it from about £30pa

I use www.cmtia.co.uk/

NatashaBee Wed 24-Jul-13 18:24:45

No, but thinking about setting one up to sell DH's work. Interested to see people's responses.

GemmaTeller Wed 24-Jul-13 18:20:40

The charges are 20cents per listing and each listing lasts for four months or until its sold, whichever comes first.

When your item sells you are charged 3.5% commission on the selling price, again billed monthly.

You are billed monthly for whatever you have listed/sold.

You can pay monthly for search ads to boost your searchability.

My etsy bills average £100 - £120 per month

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now