We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Has anyone started an Etsy shop?

(32 Posts)
Suddengeekgirl Tue 23-Jul-13 11:02:07

Can you tell me all about it?

How easy it was to set up
Do you sell much
General pitfalls etc

Thanks! smile

GemCheshire Fri 26-Jul-13 20:51:32

Hi Suddengeekgirl

I have both an Etsy (US based) store and a Folksy (UK based) store and although both are easy wnough to set up and use, I don't find that they bring in much ££

skyblue11 Fri 27-Sep-13 17:10:33

How much does it cost to receive money, I think that they take a cut if it's paypal but you also have to option to be paid by credit card too.

If I sold handmade items why would I need liability insurance for these items and how much hassle is it to be registered at HMRC?

GemmaTeller Sat 28-Sep-13 12:15:17

Etsy and Folksy both charge a listing fee and take a final fee on a sale no matter what the method of payment.

Paypal also take a fee to process payments.

These should be factored in your selling price.

It's much less hassle to register with HMRC compared with the hassle of being caught/reported if you don't declare any income (whether you make a profit or not).

You need public and product liability insurance if you sell handmade items, (scenarios: if someone trips over your craft stall or something you display hanging up falls on them, if you leave a pin in something and they cut themselves, if you sell something with a sharp edge, a button can be a choking hazard, all slightly extreme you might think but its best to be covered)

www.cmtia.co.uk/

Seabright Sun 29-Sep-13 11:48:31

Anyone know of insurance that allows you to sell worldwide? The CMTIA one is UK & EU only

skyblue11 Sun 29-Sep-13 12:31:36

So if I were to sell something with a button, it came off and they choked on it are you saying they'd sue me? You don't hear of many cases with this happening at M & S!

GemmaTeller Sun 29-Sep-13 15:55:07

skyblue I've tried to explain why you need insurance but I'm not engaging anymore, I really don't like your attitude in either of your posts.

btw, good luck trying to sell at a reputable craft fair with no insurance.

skyblue11 Sun 29-Sep-13 18:21:13

Gemma, I fail to see where my 'attitude' is!
I fully understand about the insurance aspect of trading at craft fairs, it just seems extreme to say sell on folksy and have this in case someone swallows a button!!!
Sorry if you're offended by this it wasn't intended, also you're last comment is a little offensive to me!

btw, good luck trying to sell at a reputable craft fair with no insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now