Pattern for Victorianish girl's dress for dance costume

(6 Posts)
teacherwith2kids Sat 13-Jul-13 18:12:58

The Australian one....no, not doing that for a solo lasting under 3 minutes, especially when she's supposed to be finding the garden key and doing a bit of digging (also have to knit a tam o'shanter and a scarf, as dancing in a coat was regarded as impractical)...

teacherwith2kids Sat 13-Jul-13 18:09:44

Excellent! I can't believe that I overlooked the Simplicity one, as I've used an adapted Simplicity Little House on the Prairie pattern for a different dance.

Think by putting together details from the different views I'll be able to concoct comething, and i can always widen the skirt panels if it doesn't allow enough room for arabesques and general leg-waving-in-the-air.

ZZZenagain Sat 13-Jul-13 18:00:00

have to be a keen sewer

don't know these Australian sizings (2-5). Girls look about 10.

ZZZenagain Sat 13-Jul-13 17:55:46

From here:
some pictures

ZZZenagain Sat 13-Jul-13 17:54:59

top right
don't know where you can get these patterns but some seem linked to ebay.

teacherwith2kids Sat 13-Jul-13 17:48:49

You were very helpful with my last query (a 1920s flapper style dress pattern) so I'm asking for help again...

DD has a new dance solo (Secret Garden). She needs a dress of approximately this period. I can draw it (full skirt, fitted top, long sleeves that are full at the top and are either leg of mutton or taper to the wrist) but I can't find a pattern...and while I can adjust patterns I can't draw a pattern from scratch.

DD is 10 but would need an age 12 pattern (she's tall, and it's easier to take in a pattern that's too wide than add length). It needs to be not excessively fitted as she has to be able to dance in it!

The dress from here:
dress in a different fabric is probably the closest I've found BUT it only goes up to age 8 and DD will need something a little more 'shaped around the bust' as she will probably have this solo for a couple of years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now