We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

DIY christening gown- any ideas?

(9 Posts)

CorrieDale your choice of fabric sounds perfect smile I wish I had done the same.

DD2 was worse than a bar of soap! Still as you say definitely worth doing and a souvenir of the day to give to the DC when they are older.

CorrieDale Wed 10-Jul-13 18:03:38

Fortified I did mine in cotton poplin pepped up with crochet lace. Alas, 2 sizes too big (the sizing with big 4 patterns is apt to be erratic) but it was still a lovely dress. So so worth doing.

CorrieDale Wed 10-Jul-13 18:01:46

Definitely use the laptop. At least one issue has a christening gown pattern. But there are loads of baby dress patterns that could be adapted.

I did dd's from a big 4 pattern. It was lovely but I wish I'd known about ottobre then.

I think I used Simplicity or Butterick. DD1 was cruising furniture so I make hers floor length so she could 'walk' in it. It was satin with a tiny pattern lace overlay on the sleeves and bodice.

DD2 was a younger baby so I did the whole trailing gown thing. OMG she was like a slippery eel! I made a sleeveless satin slip with deep lace. Over the top, DD2 wore a very delicate organza dress with set in sleeves, lace edged with a tiny peter pan collar. All the seams were very small French seams. I wish I had chosen different fabric, she was far too slippery.

My tip for pictures. If you are going to have professional snaps, have them taken afew days before the event while the dress is clean just in case. We did this for DD1. Sadly we were short on cash for DD2 and we don't have any really good photos of her, which I regret.

FattyMcChubster Wed 10-Jul-13 09:54:27

Corrie I can't get on with ottobre. Maybe I need to use to laptop instead of phone but can't seem to find much at all.

CorrieDale Tue 09-Jul-13 13:01:28

Check out the ottobre magazines. Available online. You have to trace the pattern (I use grease proof paper!) but they are beautifully drafted and so trendy. Rather addictive though...

fossil971 Tue 09-Jul-13 12:59:20

Have you tried the usual places like a department store or sewing shop?

McCalls and Simplicity have lots of lovely baby patterns.

here or here

or a bit different here

FattyMcChubster Mon 08-Jul-13 19:20:40

Oh, she's 1 if that makes a difference.

FattyMcChubster Mon 08-Jul-13 19:20:21

Really want to make dd her christening gown. Nothing wild, a nice simple white dress but more personal than shop bought if that makes sense.
Any ideas where I can find a pattern?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now