We ask that emails regarding swaps not contain any unsolicited advertising. If you have received an email which contains advertising, please let us know at contactus@mumsnet.com.

Knitters of Mumsnet...

(74 Posts)
Madratlady Wed 19-Jun-13 21:59:27

I thought we needed a thread to chat about our current projects, future projects and obscenely large yarn stashes!

I'm working on some lace gloves and a jumper for when the gloves annoy me too much. I've realised that the last 5 projects I've made have been purple so clearly I need some non purple yarn asap!

JulesJules Sun 25-Aug-13 10:18:20

The Crofter yarn is very nice to work with and the pattern it creates is lovely.

I'm about to get distracted though... by knitting little Innocent smoothie hats for Age UK DO NOT click if you don't want to be distracted! I'm finding this impossible to resist. Just one little fox!

I like that sweater dress JulesJules I have never worked in crofter before but got some recently to do myself a cardigan.

Debbie Bliss Bunny

This is my latest thing I have finished. I do the knitting and my mum does the stuffing as she used to do loads of stuffed toys years ago. I used Drops Muskat wool for this, it is for a colleague for her nephew

AlyssB Sun 18-Aug-13 18:23:14

I have a shoulder injury and have been told not to knit until its fixed sad would now be the time to learn crochet? I don't know if that would still be bad for my shoulder (damaged muscle). There is so much yarn waiting to be squished loved and made into something and not being able to pick it up makes me sad!

Purlesque Fri 16-Aug-13 21:12:17

I just finished making a cashmere lace cowl for my sister, it's so pretty. I'll try and post a picture.
I'm doing another one for a friend now.
I love lace!

Those look like a lot of fun Jules! I also have to have a lot of things on the go at once otherwise I get bored. I'm planning on making Sheldon for DS for his birthday. That will be my first attempt at a stuffed toy.

JulesJules Fri 16-Aug-13 15:45:55

I am making a sweater dress for dd1. She is 11, I'm making the biggest size because God knows when I'll finish it! I'm not very good at knitting big things, because I get bored.

Inbetween I'm knitting from these books Knitivity although I'm only half way through Mary blush and Knitlympics Adapted a pattern from this to make my Mum her very own Bradley Wiggins.

cake wine

ooh thanks Toby. I shall give that a go.

OhOneOhTwoOhThree Tue 13-Aug-13 22:19:10

I have been making bunting triangles - nice and quick and easy.

MOSagain Tue 13-Aug-13 22:15:23

Yay! After a year of knitting lots of squares for various 'team effort' blankets, I have FINALLY finished my very own one and sewn it together. It isn't brilliant but hopefully it will be ok

TobyLerone Tue 13-Aug-13 15:38:07

I'm doing this baby cardigan because it looks quite easy. I have only done about 10 rows, though!

I have discovered a love for knitting and have been making hats, mittens and booties for my bump due in December. I am now going to attempt a cardigan, but I cant find a pattern I understand. It just makes me frustrated sad

I'm getting back into knitting after a long break. I made a cardigan for DS while I was pregnant, but I must have gone wrong as the proportions are all out sad
Lots of friends are having babies at the moment, so I'm getting back into practice with some hats / booties / mittens. If I can manage those without cocking up, I will try a cardigan again!
Knitting only happens in two 25-min train journeys at the moment...

TobyLerone Tue 13-Aug-13 06:38:56

I like the look of this thread.

I am an amateur knitter. Currently making a lacy, stripy blanket and a baby cardigan for when the blanket gets boring (which is often).

How is everyone getting on with their knitting? I, rather ambitiously, tried a bit of double knitting. It is fun to do but I fear the outcome will be very amateur looking.

GroupieGirl Tue 09-Jul-13 20:09:42

Jayne Patterns are nearly all from a Lesley Stanfield book. 100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet.

CP I keep meaning to put pics up! I tend to MN from phone though, so next time I'm on laptop I'll try to remember.
I haven't stuck to a colour/theme, we've made flowers of all colours, types and sizes <inclusive, me>.

roguepixie Thu 04-Jul-13 06:55:10

Why, oh why oh why do I never have enough yarn hmm[confused[]grin?

Such lovely lovely yarn out there ... have just bought 3 skeins of the new Rowan sock/shawl yarn, 3 balls of Rowan Kid Haze, some worsted weight yarn for thrummed mittens and some more for narwhal mittens plus extra dpns!!!

Have found the most beautiful shop/website: for those in London visit Loop (Angel, Islington). They have an website www.loopknitting.com.

That sounds brilliant groupie, would you mind sharing pictures of them later on? I've seen loads of pictures of peoples knitted bouquets but very few of much else knitted at a wedding!

Are you sticking to a colour theme or a flower theme at all our going all out on a birt of everything?

Jaynebxl Mon 01-Jul-13 21:30:29

Oo Groupie where do you get your flower patterns from?

GroupieGirl Mon 01-Jul-13 14:20:46

Confused - two of us have been knitting flowers idly for about six months, with more effort for three or four. We've probably got over two hundred. It depends what flower you want. For example, a crocheted daisy takes about ten or fifteen minutes, whereas a sunflower might take a few hours. Two years will be plenty of time!

madamginger Sun 30-Jun-13 19:05:57

Ooooh can I join. I am doing a test knit ATM for a designer called anadiomena, when I've finished that I have a nearly finished pair of socks to make for dh.

Feegle, pop a thread on looking for lefty knitters, I know ther is at least one on here.

Also, susuwatari are aka soot sprites. Does that mean I can be part or the fairy/pixie crew?

Sounds cute purl!

pixie green was my first thought too but I was hoping to use something I already have lying around. I have an aqua/turquoise, a royal blue, a pale grey spun with white or just plain white.

I really like the look of this cowl.

roguepixie Sun 30-Jun-13 12:07:50

Susu - what about green? I know it is a little cliched but green would look good.

I am looking at patterns for a shawl/cowl for a present for my DMum at Christmas - thinking about Ysolda's Barley Sugar Cowl www.ysolda.com/patterns/barley-sugar. Also going to do some thrummed socks for my DDad - have to source roving but he suffers terribly with chilblains so think this might be a nice Christmas present for him. Seems strange to be thinking of Christmas when we finally have some sun but, hey, I'm not the fastest knitter around grin.

Feegle, keep going, you will get it. It takes time. I learnt to knit when I was quite young (6 or 7) and I am thankful that time has dulled the sheer horror of the items I knit then grin grin. Because many of us learn as children we forget the learning process/curve - keep going and it will fall into place and then, when it does, you have a talent you can take anywhere.

I learnt to knit a few years ago and I really love it. My current projects are a jumper for dh with a geeky Lord of the Rings pattern in the front and a leaf-patterned scarf for me. Both going very slowly atm though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now