Pretty please can someone find me a new bag pattern?

(10 Posts)
stealthsquiggle Thu 20-Jun-13 17:32:52

Bottle bag/cover might end up being it. I have less than no idea if he has a kindle/ipad/whatever. I suppose I could ask DS. I am tempted just to make a bag and tell him it's for his wife, but DS is 10 and would find that intensely embarrassing to deliver. If it were one of the younger teachers I might attempt a funky man-bag of some sort, but teacher in question is not really the man-bag type smile.

Ps there's a wine bottle bag at the lily blossom etsy website too - scroll down

How about making a book cover - search Lily blossom for pattern. Or kindle cover?

stealthsquiggle Thu 20-Jun-13 09:16:22

They have to be tried, I agree. I am really chuffed with Japanese Knot bag number 1 - I shall try and remember to post a picture. Now I just need to make 2 (or 3, possibly) more grin.

nettie Thu 20-Jun-13 08:29:21

These look really easy and quick too,

whipup.net/2013/06/18/make-it-local-origami-market-bag/

Think I might have a go at one today, have some fabric in my stash that should do.

stealthsquiggle Tue 18-Jun-13 00:56:28

Thanks, Gemma - the problem is always sorting through to find something suitable. I always find it hard to judge how something will turn out, and I don't have time for too much trial and error. The Japanese knot ones look great - I made one tonight, except that because I decided to make it out of patchwork jelly roll strips, it is going to need the walking foot to do the final topstitching.

Judging from the pattern I thought it would fit a bottle of wine in, but now it is made up, I don't think it will. It might be chocolates this year grin.

GemmaTeller Mon 17-Jun-13 21:12:06

Search 'bag tutorials' or 'free bag pattern' on Pinterest - there's LOTS smile

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Jun-13 16:30:11

I had to google those. They look perfect - equivalent lack of complication to the lickety split bags, but a bit different. Thank you.

Now starts the trawl of the fabric stash to find 3 different combinations of outer and lining fabric that work (1 teacher, 2 TA's)

DS has a male form teacher. That is a different problem altogether - maybe I should just make a bag for him to give to his wife (who also works at the school) grin?

nettie Mon 17-Jun-13 16:14:05

Japanese knot bags are really easy and quick to make. There's loads of free patterns if you search. Don't know how suitable they would be fir a bottle of wine, but you could always shove something else in!

stealthsquiggle Mon 17-Jun-13 15:35:15

For the past few years, I have made bags as end-of-year presents for DC's (female) teachers - which then have a bottle of wine put into them.

I have made madebyrae's lickety split bags, and bucket bags, and simpler "shopping" bags. I need a new idea for this year, and I need it scarily fast (end of term seems to have snuck up on me, and I haven't sewed at all for 4 weeks thanks to a broken hand).

TIA!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now